× Members

What Rate Should I be on

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #116983 by redgt9
What Rate Should I be on was created by redgt9
Hello, I don't know if you offer help with this sort of question, if not please delete it.

I would like to know if I am on the right amount for my ESA IR In Support Group.

I'm married, my wife works 12 hours per week and don't earn enough to affect my payments, she is 55 and I am 60 years of age and it is me who is ill.

What I get is £71.00 plus £34.05 per week which in total is £105.05.

In a form I have read on the Internet says:
I should get £111.45 plus £34.05 per week which is in total is £145.50.

My problems started back last year when I was placed in a WRAG from IB but after a big fight I was then placed into the Support Group.

Any help would be great thank you
Graham,
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #116985 by
Replied by on topic What Rate Should I be on

redgt9 wrote: Hello, I don't know if you offer help with this sort of question, if not please delete it.

I would like to know if I am on the right amount for my ESA IR In Support Group.

I'm married, my wife works 12 hours per week and don't earn enough to affect my payments, she is 55 and I am 60 years of age and it is me who is ill.

My problems started back last year when I was placed in a WRAG from IB but after a big fight I was then placed into the Support Group.

Graham,

Hi r9,

As it seems that you were previously in receipt of IB, and then successfully transferred to ESA, (initially in The WRAG, then The SG after reconsideration/appeal) you will be covered by Transitional Protection. (TP)

This means that you are guaranteed to receive no less than you were previously receiving before transfer, but can receive more :

What will I be paid?

Are you sure that you are in receipt of IR ESA, and not CB ESA, as claimants migrated successfully from IB would be paid CB ESA ? :

What will I be transferred to?

Further, if you were in receipt of IR ESA, your wife's income from work would be counted in the means test for IR ESA.

It is possible to be payed CB ESA with IR ESA top ups if you are entitled to Premiums :

ESA Premiums

"What I get is £71.00 plus £34.05 per week which in total is £105.05."

Yes, this is the correct ESA Personal Allowance and SG Component for a single over 25 years old who only claims for themselves.

(N.B. Correct rates for 2012/13, see post below)

I do not know where the extra £40.45 is coming from ?

There are quite a few anomalies in the information that you have given, which are rather confusing.

Cheers

bro58
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by . Reason: Added "Correct rates for 2012/13, see post below)"

10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #116986 by

bro58 wrote:

redgt9 wrote: Hello, I don't know if you offer help with this sort of question, if not please delete it.

Graham,

Hi r9,

As it seems that you were previously in receipt of IB, and then successfully transferred to ESA, (initially in The WRAG, then The SG after reconsideration/appeal) you will be covered by Transitional Protection. (TP)

This means that you are guaranteed to receive no less than you were previously receiving before transfer, but can receive more :

What will I be paid?

Are you sure that you are in receipt of IR ESA, and not CB ESA, as claimants migrated successfully from IB would be paid CB ESA ? :

What will I be transferred to?

Further, if you were in receipt of IR ESA, your wife's income from work would be counted in the means test for IR ESA.

It is possible to be payed CB ESA with IR ESA top ups if you are entitled to Premiums :

ESA Premiums

"What I get is £71.00 plus £34.05 per week which in total is £105.05."

Yes, this is the correct ESA Personal Allowance and SG Component for a single over 25 years old who only claims for themselves.

(N.B. Correct rates for 2012/13, see post below)

I do not know where the extra £40.45 is coming from ?

There are quite a few anomalies in the information that you have given, which are rather confusing.

Cheers

bro58

Hi r9,

Actually the current ESA Rates 2013/14 are slightly more :

Single 25 or over. : £71.70

Support Group : £34.80

Total = £106.50

The rates that you gave are for 2012/13.

bro58

10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #116987 by
Hi r9,

You could use these two online Benefit Calculators to give you more of an idea :

Benefits Calculator.

Benefits Calculator.

Of you could contact The CAB or the like for a Benefits Check :

Where to get advice?

bro58

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #116988 by redgt9
Replied by redgt9 on topic What Rate Should I be on
Hi Bro, thank you for your reply. Yes you don't have the full information because I wanted to try to keep it short. I was first placed into ESA WRAG CB but after me fighting to be placed into a Support Group I also asked to be placed into IR, they sent me the forms and after a while I telephoned them and asked what is happening and they said I was placed into IR.
Yes my wife wages was means tested but they said she don't earn enough to make any difference.
Yes I am getting the top up of an extra £5.00 to keep it the same as it was when I was on IB.

Yes I am certain I am in ESA IR SG, I hope I have answered what you wanted to know, again thank you for your help and time. I am very sorry if I have missed anything but it is not 10pm so I need to post this quickly.
Regards
Graham
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 7 months ago #116989 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic What Rate Should I be on
redgt9

Wherever you are getting your figures from it is using last years benefit rates!

The current rates are

Personal Allowance - £71.70
Support Group - 34.80

The figure of £111.45 is now 112.55 and is the Personal Allowance for a couple receiving Income Related ESA, so if you were receiving Income Related ESA last year you would expect to receive the £145.50 you quote for being in the Support Group.

However, as Bro has said in their post, if you were on IB then you should have been transferred to ESA(CB), whilst ESA(IR) can be paid as a top-up to your current ESA(CB), your wife's income would then be taken into account and may well remove any eligibility for the top-up.

Either find a more up to date reference for the information, Turn2Us.org have a good benefit calculator or get face to face advice from someone who can actually calculate what you would get with everything taken in to account.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid