× Members

ESA

More
8 years 6 months ago #141987 by Billie31
ESA was created by Billie31
Hi All
I wonder if anyone can help me.
My daughter is 29 and very severely disabled. She is in receipt of higher rate care and mobility DLA. She also receives contributary rate ESA which she was put on when changed from Incapacity benefit.
Can anyone tell me is there a reason she has been put on contributary as oppose to income related. Also is there any reason she cannot claim income related?
This has only come to mind as I have been fined for dentist fees as I thought she was on income related and so got them free :blush:
I would be grateful for any advice any can give me. TIA
:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #141998 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA

Billie wrote: Hi All
My daughter is 29 and very severely disabled. She is in receipt of higher rate care and mobility DLA. She also receives contributary rate ESA which she was put on when changed from Incapacity benefit.
Can anyone tell me is there a reason she has been put on contributary as oppose to income related. Also is there any reason she cannot claim income related?
This has only come to mind as I have been fined for dentist fees as I thought she was on income related and so got them free :blush:

Hi B,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

As Incapacity Benefit (IB) was a Contributory Benefit, all IB recipients that were successfully transferred to ESA would be paid Contribution Based (CB) ESA.

See : What will I be transferred to?

From our : IB, IS, SDA, Migration to ESA FAQ’s

It is possible for CB ESA recipients to also be entitled to an Income Related (IR) ESA top-up to their CB ESA payments : ESA Premiums

To be entitled to any payments of IR ESA, as above, not only would she have to fulfil the qualifying criteria mentioned in the FAQ, she would also have to pass the means test for payment of IR ESA with respect to capital, assets, savings, household income and any hours worked by a partner if she has one :

Asset rule for ESA (IR)

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

Her DLA will not be classed as income for the means test, her CB ESA payment will be counted as income !

Even if it comes to pass that she is only entitled to a penny in IR ESA top-up, this will passport her to free prescriptions, dental care, etc, etc.

She needs to request an ESA 3 Form from The DWP, this will be used to capture all her personal and financial details to see whether she has entitlement to any IR ESA payments.

Sample ESA 3 Form

Sending Documents to the DWP.

If she does have IR ESA payment entitlement, there is no time limit on payment of any arrears owed.

See also : Get help with prescription costs.

Hope this helps.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by bro58.

• bro58
8 years 6 months ago #142002 by bro58

bro58 wrote:

Billie wrote: Hi All

Hi B,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

As Incapacity Benefit (IB) was a Contributory Benefit, all IB recipients that were successfully transferred to ESA would be paid Contribution Based (CB) ESA.

See : What will I be transferred to?

From our : IB, IS, SDA, Migration to ESA FAQ’s

It is possible for CB ESA recipients to also be entitled to an Income Related (IR) ESA top-up to their CB ESA payments : ESA Premiums

To be entitled to any payments of IR ESA, as above, not only would she have to fulfil the qualifying criteria mentioned in the FAQ, she would also have to pass the means test for payment of IR ESA with respect to capital, assets, savings, household income and any hours worked by a partner if she has one :

Asset rule for ESA (IR)

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

Her DLA will not be classed as income for the means test, her CB ESA payment will be counted as income !

Even if it comes to pass that she is only entitled to a penny in IR ESA top-up, this will passport her to free prescriptions, dental care, etc, etc.

She needs to request an ESA 3 Form from The DWP, this will be used to capture all her personal and financial details to see whether she has entitlement to any IR ESA payments.

Sample ESA 3 Form

Sending Documents to the DWP.

If she does have IR ESA payment entitlement, there is no time limit on payment of any arrears owed.

See also : Get help with prescription costs.

Hope this helps.

bro58

Hi B,

Putting her details into one of these on-line : Benefits Calculators. may give you some idea of any potential entitlement to IR ESA top-up.

bro58

More
8 years 6 months ago #142003 by Billie31
Replied by Billie31 on topic ESA
Thank you so much for all your help. :)

I filled out the benefits assessment on the Turn 2 Us website and it says that she should be entitled to income related ESA.

I guess that means I have to fill out that awful form now then :(

I don't understand why they wouldn't switch her to it if she is entitled to it. I guess they are not going to give money away if they can help it though.

On the phone for me tomorrow :P

Thank you once again :)

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #142815 by Billie31
Replied by Billie31 on topic ESA
Thanks so much for the advice bro58. I filled out the ESA3 form and sent it in.

This morning I have received a letter saying that she has been changed to Income related ESA.

This has been backdated to 2011. My daughter also received 2752 in back pay.

I can't thank you enough for your advice and help. Thank you so much

• bro58
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #142824 by bro58

Billie wrote: Thanks so much for the advice bro58. I filled out the ESA3 form and sent it in.

This morning I have received a letter saying that she has been changed to Income related ESA.

This has been backdated to 2011. My daughter also received 2752 in back pay.

I can't thank you enough for your advice and help. Thank you so much

Hi B,

You are most welcome and I am really pleased for you and your daughter !!! :cheer: :cheer:

Thanks for taking the time to return and update the situation ! :)

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.