× Members

Washing & bathing - How often is 'repeatedly'?

More
8 years 6 months ago #142830 by jasperthedog
Hello,

I see the DWP Guidance for PIP says that you shouldn't be considered able to do something if you can't do it reliably, and that part of 'reliably' includes 'repeatedly - as often as is reasonably required'.

Does anyone know how they apply this to washing/bathing?

I know from a Social Services assessment that they consider once a week to be acceptable, but if you can only manage to wash yourself on one day a week, surely for PIP that would mean that you are unable to wash yourself at all on six days a week, therefore more than 50% of the time? Or will the DWP (Atos/Capita) consider being able to wash/bathe unaided on just one day a week sufficient to meet the 'as often as reasonably required' criteria and award 0 points?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• foss27
8 years 6 months ago #142839 by foss27
If once a week is considered acceptable for an activity then you should not be able to do that for at least 50% of the time ie. Once every two weeks.

If you can only do it once a week that is acceptable for a once a week activity.

More
8 years 6 months ago #142866 by jasperthedog
Replied by jasperthedog on topic Washing & bathing - How often is 'repeatedly'?
Sorry, I wasn't very clear when I said "they" - it is Social Services who apply the standard of a once a week wash being acceptable; do the DWP apply the same standard when assessing a PIP claim?

• foss27
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #142881 by foss27
The critieria for washing/bathing are on page 34 of the PIP guide here

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

It doesn't give any mention to how often someone washes or bathes. Presumably that would be as often as required for that individual. Read through the advice in the guide and if you feel it hasn't fully answered your question please post again.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Gordon. Reason: corrected url

More
8 years 6 months ago #142894 by Mags
At my assessment the nurse wasn't interested in how often but how I managed and whether I needed help as that was what the descriptor was about, I got 3 points as I need help getting into and out of a bath/shower. I got standard care which I felt was correct and enhanced mobility which again I thought was correct.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jasperthedog

More
8 years 6 months ago #142911 by jasperthedog
Replied by jasperthedog on topic Washing & bathing - How often is 'repeatedly'?
Yes, I had already looked at the washing & bathing section of the PIP guide and noticed that, as you say, it doesn't give any mention to how often someone washes or bathes. But I was a bit confused (this happens quite easily - brain fog!) because of the reliably aspect. Being unable to do things reliably is a big issue for me on many of the questions, and on other questions it's more obvious - eating 3 meals a day, dressing morning and evening, etc. But it seems that perhaps with this question they focus more on the safety/help side than being able to complete the task with reasonable frequency.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.