× Members

Autistic adults and P.I.P. medical assessment

More
8 years 3 months ago #147205 by Zenele
Hallo everyone,

I have a 30 year old Autistic daughter who is due her P.I.P. medical assessment, I would be grateful if anyone with Autism or a parent/carer could share their experience of the assessment with me.

Thank you

Celya Maxted

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #147217 by Gordon
CM

Welcome to the forum.

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

Hopefully our members will respond to your request.

There is a section at the back of the PIP Claim guide that covers the assessment and the questions likely to be asked.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenele

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #147281 by ELEANOR
Replied by ELEANOR on topic Autistic adults and P.I.P. medical assessment
My daughter is 21 and has Asperger's Syndrome. I filled out the claim form on her behalf and my husband attended the assessment with her. We didn't tell her what the assessment would be like in order not to cause her anxiety. I have been through the process myself many times for ESA and PIP so it sounds as if the assessor asked the same questions that were asked on the form. Her claim was denied so we are now going through mandatory reconsideration. I expect she will have to go to tribunal but my husband and I will be able to support her through it. If it would help you can ask to be made an appointee for your daughter but someone from the DWP would have to come to your home and speak to both of you. I decided not to do this as my daughter would find that more distressing than going to an assessment.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by .

More
8 years 3 months ago #147345 by Zenele
Thank you for your response, very much appreciated. My daughter has very complex abilities, which you will understand, Possibly these medical assessments are not appropriate for people on the Autistic Spectrum. I will feed back to the forum after our medical assessment. I hope all goes well with your appeal.

Celya
The following user(s) said Thank You: ELEANOR

8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #147351 by

Celya wrote: Thank you for your response, very much appreciated. My daughter has very complex abilities, which you will understand, Possibly these medical assessments are not appropriate for people on the Autistic Spectrum. I will feed back to the forum after our medical assessment. I hope all goes well with your appeal.

Celya

Hi C,

It is important that you take on board that this is not a "medical" assessment in the true sense of the word.

It is more a Q & A session driven by pre-designated questions via a software programme.

Some very basic tests may be involved.

You can read what to expect from around Page 70 of our : PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link down the page)

There are also examples of The PA4 PIP Medical Report that the Assessor will compile and send to The DWP PIP Decision Maker accessible from the link on : This Page

You can read through the Guidance given to PIP Assessment Providers (ATOS or Capita) from the link in : This Post.

I hope all goes well for your daughter.

Good luck and please keep us updated !! :)

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by .

• diane forsyth
8 years 3 months ago #147353 by diane forsyth
Replied by diane forsyth on topic Autistic adults and P.I.P. medical assessment
hi my daughter recently had her assesment for pip having been on dla,read alot of horror storys,but can honestly say from the lady turning up (had home assesment) it was nothing like the stories id read,i explained that i would be answering all questions due to daughters problems...ie...dyspraxia learning difficulties n selective mute, basically ask questions what was on the form we fill in never ask her to do any tasks or anything i think she could see how anxious n nervous my daughter was ....appointment lasted around 50 mins hour tops,cannot fault the assessor she was lovely ohhh it was with atos, had it november 18th she said should have a decision between 4/6 weeks ...got mine 16th december ..enanched for both hope this helps

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.