× Members

ESA claim

More
6 years 4 months ago #203111 by Perdita
Replied by Perdita on topic ESA claim
Hi

Please could you let me know firstly if it is only a GP that can issue a fit note, I assume it is. (I mean for example I assume a psychiatrist cannot do fit notes?)

Also, can fit notes overlap. For example if a fit note expired on 10th of January, could you see/telephone your GP on the 3rd January and have a new fit note start from the 3rd?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #203137 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA claim

Cruella wrote: Hi

Please could you let me know firstly if it is only a GP that can issue a fit note, I assume it is. (I mean for example I assume a psychiatrist cannot do fit notes?)

Also, can fit notes overlap. For example if a fit note expired on 10th of January, could you see/telephone your GP on the 3rd January and have a new fit note start from the 3rd?

As far as I find out, only a doctor can issue a Fit Note.

They won't overlap Fit Notes but one starting for the day after an existing Note ends can be written in advance, so using your example a new Note starting on the 11th could in principle be written on the 3rd.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 4 months ago #203139 by Perdita
My surgery said a fit note cannot be written in advance as in your example. But that is what I need. I normally get my fit notes by posting a letter request and enclosing a stamped addressed envelope for the fit note to be sent to me. Once before, this process took about 4 weeks hence why I am trying to work out the best route to take now. So I could send the letter in requesting a fit note a couple of weeks before the old one expires(the 10th), asking for it to be dated from the 11th ?

More
6 years 4 months ago #203142 by Gordon
Cruella

I've never had a problem getting a new Fit Note in advance of the current one ending, but I was only asking about a week in advance. The DWP system does allow a couple of weeks for a new Note to be received.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Perdita

More
6 years 4 months ago #203193 by Perdita
Have spoken to my surgery again, this time they said I can ask in advance but am not allowed to collect it until the date it starts from. So I could ask for it on the 8th to be written starting from the 11th but they say it cannot be collected from the surgery until the 11th. Is that a rule that you cannot collect it until the date it starts from? Or just a receptionist 's opinion do you think?

More
6 years 4 months ago #203199 by Gordon
Cruella

My opinion is the latter.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris