× Members

Low care/low mobility DLA

More
8 years 1 week ago #156686 by Probation789
Low care/low mobility DLA was created by Probation789
Hello, my daughter has been receiving receiving low care/low mobility DLA for around 5 years. However, two years ago she was diagnosed with Autism but the DLA have not been informed. I am just wondering as she is only awarded lc/lm DLA indefinitely, if she might not be offered the opportunity to apply for PIP. Do you think it would be wise to inform of a change of circumstances (i.e her diagnosis) as I fearful she will lose her small DLA and not be invited to claim PIP. thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 week ago - 8 years 1 week ago #156696 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Low care/low mobility DLA
HI R and Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

You don't say how old your daughter is, but she should be 'invited' to claim PIP soon after she has reached 16 years of age (it doesn't matter how long her DLA award is ). However, if she is below 16 and you report a change of circumstances she will be reassessed for DLA. If she were to lose the DLA she could reapply for it - or wait until she is 16 and apply for PIP.

PIP has deliberately been made harder to get such that some people who have, quite properly, been claiming DLA will find that they do not meet the descriptors for PIP. So you should have a good look at both the DLA and PIP guides before you decide what to do.

DLA reassessment and change of circumstances

When you have decided, please reply to this message with further questions and we will do our best to help you through the process.

You should Bookmark/Favourite this page in your Internet Browser now.

That way you can return to this topic easily to pose any further queries that you may have by replying to the topic.

See : This Topic also !

Thanks in anticipation of your future co-operation in keeping all your queries relating to your daughter's PIP/DLA to this topic ! :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 1 week ago by slugsta.

More
8 years 1 week ago #156737 by Probation789
Replied by Probation789 on topic Low care/low mobility DLA
Thank you Mrs H .

Just to let you know that my daughter is 46 but is also learning disabled. She was only diagnosed as having autism 2 years ago after a lifetime of struggling. The reason I asked the above question is that I have been told that anybody who only has lc/lm DLA will not even be considered for PIP. I left the lc/lm thinking I could inform of the autism diagnosis at her next assessment only because I could not bear the thought of that long form again. I also have her daughter's DLA to do (she is now 20 but was only diagnosed with Aspergers when she was 16).
I will read the FAQs to get a better idea. Thank you again.

More
8 years 1 week ago #156756 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Low care/low mobility DLA

Wobbly legs wrote: Thank you Mrs H .

Just to let you know that my daughter is 46 but is also learning disabled. She was only diagnosed as having autism 2 years ago after a lifetime of struggling. The reason I asked the above question is that I have been told that anybody who only has lc/lm DLA will not even be considered for PIP. I left the lc/lm thinking I could inform of the autism diagnosis at her next assessment only because I could not bear the thought of that long form again. I also have her daughter's DLA to do (she is now 20 but was only diagnosed with Aspergers when she was 16).
I will read the FAQs to get a better idea. Thank you again.

The issue is that PIP does not have a lower rate, so many DLA claimants on this rate will lose their award unless they can show that they meet the criteria for a Standard award under PIP, however, there are things that may help;

DLA treated aids as a negative, if you could complete an activity with the use of an aid then it would count against you, PIP treats aids differently and you will usually score points if you can only do the activity with the use of an aid.

Also, DLA focussed on the amount of care needed, PIP looks at the severity and breadth of the claimants problems.

See the PIP Claim guide for more details.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Probation789

More
7 years 5 months ago #172715 by Probation789
Replied by Probation789 on topic Low care/low mobility DLA
Hello, just wanted to update and thank you all for all the wonderful advice you offer and your generosity of time given to helping everybody on this site. The wonderful guides are a must, as I would never have gotten the decision we did for my daughter.

I have tried to post my thanks a couple of times but when I press "submit", I seem to lose it all.. My daughter had her home assessment (we never requested it! but we're happy about it) on 6th October with a lovely nurse. We received decision on 28th October - enhanced for both elements. Scores were 26 care and 20 mobility. So very relieved. Once again, thank you all so much. I will keep reading all the posts and hope everybody gets what they truly deserve.

More
7 years 5 months ago #172731 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Low care/low mobility DLA
Wobbly legs

Congratulations to your daughter on the award, well done.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.