× Members

ESA

More
7 years 10 months ago #161441 by Brian Hudson
ESA was created by Brian Hudson
I recently got my ill health retirement from work and receive a pension now. I then got a letter from ESA saying I had not told them about the pension and they dropped my payment to £50 a week.

Until this point I was in the support group and received £167.52 a week. I can see I was on contributions based ESA.

I receive maximum as I am classed as severely disabled through a mental health issue.

I was so shocked I haven't even replied and that was back in April. Can they stop my money? Can they do it because I never told them about my pension? I still get my PIP.

I don't know what to do

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #161446 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA
Hi Brian,

The only kind of income that affects Contributory ESA is occupational/private pension.

The first £85 per week of the pension is disregarded, then 50p ESA is lost for every further £1 of pension.

It is likely that DWP will continue to pay you the lower amount until they know how much pension you are receiving and for how long it has been paid.

In fact, by not replying to DWP you risk having your total payments suspended.

You might want to get some face to face advice before speaking to DWP. However, I would suggest you don't leave it much longer before doing so as this matter is not going to go away.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by slugsta.

More
7 years 10 months ago #161455 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA
B

Just to add to the advice already given.

If you were receiving £167.52 then you must have been receiving an ESA Income Related top up, as this amount is significantly in excess of the ESA(CB) SG rate.

Any pension income would be deducted £ for £ from your ESA(IR) and then the remainder would be deducted from your ESA(CB) using the rules that Mrs H includes in their post.

Based on the figures you have included, I would estimate your pension at about 176/week or about £750 per month, does this tally?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

More
7 years 10 months ago #161731 by Brian Hudson
Replied by Brian Hudson on topic ESA
Yes.my pension is £167.81 a week according to them.
ESA payment of £169.62 a week through support group paement, Disability income guarantee, extra for housing costs and a sever disability payment

More
7 years 10 months ago #161734 by Brian Hudson
Replied by Brian Hudson on topic ESA
By the way I am on contribution based. Mrs Hurtyback. It was a letter saying they had made a decision based on my pension that they reduced my payment to £50. I am in the support group

More
7 years 10 months ago #161738 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA
BH

You are receiving Contribution Based ESA with an Income Related ESA top-up.

From what I can see the deductions are correct.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.