× Members

mobility assesment

More
7 years 9 months ago #163421 by kathryn
mobility assesment was created by kathryn
Hi
I received the dreaded brown envelope today so the process has started to change over to PIP. I have a query regarding the mobility element and would appreciate some help. I have osteoarthritis in both knees and presently have the higher rate award. When I fill the form in I'm not sure which box to tick as I'm in constant pain and although can hobble about a bit ,I cannot walk for any distance at all without extreme pain. Do I tick "cannot walk at all"?
All help appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #163438 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic mobility assesment

kathryn wrote: Hi
I received the dreaded brown envelope today so the process has started to change over to PIP. I have a query regarding the mobility element and would appreciate some help. I have osteoarthritis in both knees and presently have the higher rate award. When I fill the form in I'm not sure which box to tick as I'm in constant pain and although can hobble about a bit ,I cannot walk for any distance at all without extreme pain. Do I tick "cannot walk at all"?
All help appreciated

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

You need to make the Decision what to tick, but you should consider the following;

Whilst you are not required to perform the PIP Activities without pain, any pain that limits your ability to complete an activity or indeed to start it should be taken into account.

Also, you must be able to perform an activity "reliably" and on the "majority of days" to not score points. These definitions are explained in more detail in the PIP Claim guide.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

If you have further questions then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Gordon.

More
7 years 9 months ago #163804 by stampcoverman
Replied by stampcoverman on topic mobility assesment
Hi Kathryn, my opinion of trying to define how far a disabled person can walk (if at all) is just 'fishing' to make the applicant say any old nonsense.

Does anybody really keep a record or say to themselves how far they walked without pain, fatigue or severe discomfort on any particular part of the day/days? The whole idea of 'PIP' is to reduce government aid. I don't blame 'the state' for trying to do that as it is hard to assess who should and who shouldn't get a financial benefit - but the easiest way (in my opinion) is for an 'assessor' to obtain the medical history and also let a disabled person describe their disabilities and how it affects their daily lives (in their own words) and not be prompted by idiotic questions like 'How far can you walk'?

I remember in the early days of my DLA assessment, a G.P from another surgery (completely unfamiliar with my medical history) He went to the other side of the my living room. (you were assessed by a G.P at home in those days - a 10 minute test - no less!) He told me to get out of my chair and walk to him. I thought I was 'Lazarus' and he was 'JC' for a brief moment - until he said 'And NOW try and reach down and touch your toes' He probably got paid a ridiculous fee for doing that and still wouldn't have been much the wiser.

Good luck with your answer, I have to answer the same question soon and I haven't got a clue what the answer is and nor has 'JC' nor 'The Guide'- Gordon!!)

More
7 years 9 months ago #163806 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic mobility assesment
It is quite common for the assessor to ask for how many minutes you can walk and then extrapolate a distance from that. It is something we warn members to be prepared for.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 9 months ago #163825 by stampcoverman
Replied by stampcoverman on topic mobility assesment
Hi Mrs Hurtyback.

I know I can't change the world but:-

Even if you can walk for a short distance on a bad day and a longer distance on a good day - why should an assessor really care and why should you have to be wary and position yourself to answer with the appropriate words from the pip guide? Surely it should be based on whether you can get out and about like an equal - then - if the answer is 'NO' then you should qualify for the benefit.

Sounds to me like the system is nothing to do with the real world,

More
7 years 9 months ago #163828 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic mobility assesment

stampcoverman wrote: Hi Mrs Hurtyback.

I know I can't change the world but:-

Even if you can walk for a short distance on a bad day and a longer distance on a good day - why should an assessor really care and why should you have to be wary and position yourself to answer with the appropriate words from the pip guide? Surely it should be based on whether you can get out and about like an equal - then - if the answer is 'NO' then you should qualify for the benefit.

Sounds to me like the system is nothing to do with the real world,

I'm sorry but you need to have a look at the PIP Claim guide, the legal test considers how far you can walk, it has nothing to do with whether the claimant can "get out and about like an equal".

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.