× Members

Finally got our PIP award but scores low ?

More
7 years 9 months ago #164212 by steveinleo59
Finally got our PIP award but scores low ? was created by steveinleo59
We Finally got my wife's PIP award through and thanks to the invaluable advice on the Benefits & work web and forum, it was better than expected news.

Although during the torturous period of waiting for CAPITA to sort out a home visit appointment, my wife had a nervous breakdown and was recommended by the Paramedic Team who came to our house, to be taken by ambulance to A&E to see a crisis team. Fortunately she refused to be admitted and I convinced both the paramedics and our GP that I could look after my wife of 34 years better at home.

CAPITA cancelled and rearranged appointments 5 times in two weeks ! ! !

Having got a yellow A&E ambulance attendance report as additional evidence, we thought that it would hold categorical evidence of my wife's fragile metal health condition. But how wrong we were !! The DWP letter of explanation did not take into consideration any of the additional info that I sent in e.g, the Ambulance sheet, a GP supporting letter and a referral letter to the mental health team at our GP practice.

We have reviewed the statement of entitlement:-

We got the enhanced rate for Daily Living scoring 15 points, but when we cross referenced this against our copy of the application, we should of got 50 points in our opinion. Especially as things like reading instructions scored zero for a person with such bad anxiety that Capita caused a nervous breakdown to.

Mobility scored 8 out of a possible 24 points getting us the standard rate, when we thought 20 was more like the reality.

We are now faced with a dilemma.

Do we risk appealing and losing more points or money, or do we just accept the win?

Also if we don't appeal to get the points brought closer to reality even if it doesn't gain value, as in four years time when we re-apply will the barrier be higher and maybe the DWP won't take into consideration any pre existing scores?

We would love to hear of any advice on what to do?

By the way. The comment that the DWP doesn't cross reference your ESA records is wrong.

I can prove this because, on my wife's ESA claim we gave her mobile as the only contact number and on DLA and PIP my mobile number was used. But CAPITA rang my wife's phone to book appointments.

One very good tip to stop unwanted early morning or late night calls from CAPITA. Never give out your landline number or a relatives landline number.

Because CAPITA call at the most awkward times on purpose even if you have stated on your form don't ring before or after a time, or Hospital appointment days.

They really do take the P i double SS.

Everyone's advice will be much appreciated as I'm certain we are not alone on the do we appeal or do we just put up with being under valued yet again.

Thanks Steve L.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #164228 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Finally got our PIP award but scores low ?
Hi Steve,

I'm glad that this is over for you and your wife, thanks for letting us know.

There is no point in asking for an MR of the decision, this would simply risk losing the award that you have as your wife is already on the highest award.

With ESA assessments we have seen that the assessor stops counting once the threshold for the higher award has been reached. Carrying on beyond that would be a waste of the assessor's time. I cannot say for sure, but it certainly looks as if the same is happening with PIP awards.

DWP have introduced a new form for some reassessments. The claimant is simply being asked whether things are the same, worse or better. As long as your wife continues to have more than enough points for the higher award I think she will be OK.

With regard to the phone number, DWP will have this on the claimant's main computer file once they have been given it. I don't think it necessarily means that the ESA file has to have been accessed.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by slugsta.

More
7 years 9 months ago #164231 by steveinleo59
Replied by steveinleo59 on topic Finally got our PIP award but scores low ?
My wife got her PIP award, but we feel let down by the low scores, because they don't truly reflect the extent of her medical conditions.

We've read about the appeals and wonder if we ought to appeal the decision, with reference to the fact that it can go down as well as up.

We would also like information on how to get hold of a copy of the full decision and the evidence used to reach the decision as some of the additional paperwork seems not to of been used by the DWP?

Can we get a full copy of all records that the DWP hold for both ESA and DLA / PIP?

Will the paperwork turns up in time to enable us to lodge an appeal?

More
7 years 9 months ago #164237 by benion
Replied by benion on topic Finally got our PIP award but scores low ?
You HAVE won! Who cares if you scored 15 or 50 on the daily living? Either one gets you the enhanced rate.
It is practically impossible to get a mobility award for MH issues. I am resigned to losing the mobility component I have on DLA.
You have done extremely well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

More
7 years 9 months ago #164241 by bassettsfarm
Replied by bassettsfarm on topic Finally got our PIP award but scores low ?
I totally agree with benion.

You've had a really positive result, so don't rock the boat! I think that every single one of us score ourselves higher than the DWP score us, but you've got a really great result so try to be happy with that - I know I would be!

A
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #164242 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Finally got our PIP award but scores low ?
Hi Steve,

I believe that you can appeal the decision but not the actual points - which do not form part of the decision, per se**

You can contact DWP and ask for a copy of the assessor's report (PIP4) or submit a Subject Access Request for all paperwork associated with your claim

Requesting a Subject Access Request (SAR) :

SAR Form Download

From this page :

DWP Data Protection Policy

Or you can make the request in the form of a letter, as long as you make it clear that you are making a formal SAR under The Data Protection Act 1998.

Address the envelope : FAO The Data Controller, at the Benefits Office dealing with your PIP.

Write DPA 1998 SAR in front, top, left corner of envelope.

Once received, they have 40 calendar days to comply.

Sending Documents to the DWP.

**Sorry, I missed the fact that your wife did not get enhanced mobility. Of course you are entitled to appeal that if you wish!

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by slugsta.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.