× Members

Change of circumstances DLA to PIP

More
8 years 1 month ago #166862 by Paradigm
Change of circumstances DLA to PIP was created by Paradigm
Hi,

I have been wanting to register a change of circumstances as I have been diagnosed with additional conditions which I feel could move me to a higher rate. I think I was put on the wrong rate in the first place but didn't challenge as the award was indefinite.

I am not in a PIP transition area, however is it correct to assume that all change of circumstances are now treated as new PIP claims?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #166863 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Change of circumstances DLA to PIP

Paradigm wrote: Hi,

I have been wanting to register a change of circumstances as I have been diagnosed with additional conditions which I feel could move me to a higher rate. I think I was put on the wrong rate in the first place but didn't challenge as the award was indefinite.

I am not in a PIP transition area, however is it correct to assume that all change of circumstances are now treated as new PIP claims?

I am afraid your information is out of date, all areas of the UK are now eligible to be invited to claim PIP.

Yes, a Change of Circumstances will result in a invitation to claim PIP, you need to consider whether your deterioration will actually result in a higher award under the PIP criteria or not. See

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paradigm

More
8 years 1 month ago #166911 by Paradigm
Replied by Paradigm on topic Change of circumstances DLA to PIP
Ah, that makes sense. I think I confused a July 2015 update with this year.

I'm not sure whether it will - quite a risk as I currently get lower rate DLA care, although I had got middle rate + LRM before that but didn't appeal as it seemed a lot of hassle considering I'd got an indefinite award. Now realise I quite shot myself in the foot with that choice.

Between working full time and looking after me my wife is really getting ground down and I'm not sure how much longer we'll be able to stay together if something doesn't change - so, really I'm hoping for just enough to pay someone to come for a few hours perhaps to do some cleaning and prepare lunches, etc. But I've already allocated my DLA to other disability-related costs. Would be great if I didn't have to ration them so much.

I've booked an appointment with the local CAB but want to be as prepared as possible so that the appointment isn't wasted as I've having to take the day off work (it's bang in the middle of my work day) and I've had quite a few appointments recently which have caused me to take time off.

More
8 years 1 month ago #166913 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Change of circumstances DLA to PIP
Hi Paradigm,

I don't think the fact that you didn't appeal the last DLA award will make any difference. You will be assessed from scratch for PIP, what level of award you get will not relate directly to your DLA award.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paradigm

More
8 years 1 month ago #166932 by Paradigm
Oh, I don't think it will either. I'm just frustrated at myself for not having challenged it when it would have been less hassle/difficult/risk to have appealed DLA in the first place.

More
8 years 1 month ago #167039 by Paradigm
Will having a job affect my claim? I'm worried that it will, as my difficulties are mainly around concentration, executive function and social stuff (hearing loss, ADHD and ASD). I am able to do it but I'm always exhausted by the end of the day. I work 8:45 to 3:30 in school term as a 1:1 teaching assistant.

I can see them being difficult about the fact that technically I care for another person but I think I'd have more trouble with an office job because of all the sitting down/reading/writing/focusing on one task for a long time. (The child I work with isn't desk-ready.)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid