× Members

DM comments/threats about driving

More
7 years 9 months ago #167839 by Bryan Connor
Replied by Bryan Connor on topic DM comments/threats about driving
Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the speedy and pertinent reply. My issue - lower back pain...Following fusion op 1999, I now have disc degeneration above and below the fused area along with painful scar tissue that affects my legs/hips/knees, my walk/gait and I need my sticks to walk, issues that the HP picked up on. BUT I have no issues in my arms/shoulders /elbows, if anything...as my issue requires me to use sticks my arms are my strongest limbs!

The nurse that assessed me:

1.Did not physically carry out a 'hands on' examination as a doctor or consultant would.
2.Did not want to see the MRI/X Rays I took with me as a doctor or consultant would.
3.Writes very brief one sentence comments about the restrictions in my Legs/Hips/Knees
Whereas, she writes four sentence paragraphs on the 3 sections regarding
my arms/shoulders/wrist movement - areas that are NOT in question.

As per the appeal advice, I'm now working on a bulleted summary to hand to the tribunal members on the day of my appeal (20th of this month). Should I highlight this strange disparity in her analysis as a weakness on the HP's part to identify the real issue?

Thank you again for your assistance,

I'll let you know how I get on.

Bryan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #167851 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DM comments/threats about driving
B

The interview was a functional assessment of your abilities to complete the PIP activities not a medical, so I would not have expected the assessor to have made an examination as a doctor or consultant would have. I'd make a similar comment the X-rays, etc.

Although you have talked about your conditions, you don't mention any restrictions in the distance that you can walk, the Moving Around activity is only concerned with this.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Gordon.

More
7 years 9 months ago #167880 by Annie
Replied by Annie on topic DM comments/threats about driving
I don't see how the words of a non medical person regarding your ability to drive can make your insurance invalid??!! I can if it had been suggested by your GP or consultant. I have been through DVLA protocol regarding health and driving and it is a long drawn out process, mine took nine months, but thankfully was allowed to continue driving whilst the investigation took place, I have Marfan Syndrome. Good luck with your appeal, it annoys me that someone probably without much knowledge of a disabled persons life can write things like that and cause so much worry.
Sorry Gordon, just a wee bit annoyed.

More
7 years 9 months ago #167977 by benion
Replied by benion on topic DM comments/threats about driving
It is not a "non medical" person, it is a nurse who is a health care professional.
If a health care professional questions your fitness to drive, they cannot stop you driving. They have no legal power to do so. However they do have the right to inform you that you must contact the DVLA as has occurred in this assessment.
Right now your insurance will be valid, in so much as if you hit a police ANPR detector nothing will flag up as there is a policy in place. The issue is when you take out car insurance you are legally obliged to make declarations eg points on your licence, number of fault claims, whether insurance has ever been refused. Technically you may be able to lie on the questions and get a policy based on lies or withholding the truth, however things can unravel if there ever is a major accident and it transpires you have been less than candid. Insurance companies do not like paying out. They are businesses and all businesses watch their bottom line. If there is an accident and the insurance and their assessors begin to question whether you health may have contributed, things could unravel.
Tell the DVLA, as the last poster has said, they will let you hold your licence while they investigate. It is a long process. I have been through it myself. However you are unlikely to lose your licence, as the DVLA does not want to take drivers off the road unless absolutely necessary which does not sound like the case here. Failure to be candid may be something that flies under the radar, but also may be something that backfires. Personally I would not take the risk.

More
7 years 9 months ago #168031 by Annie
Replied by Annie on topic DM comments/threats about driving
Apologies Benion , from what Bryan had written I thought it had said the Decision Maker had made the remarks about his ability to drive and not the health professional. I know that when I worked for a consultant neurologist the decision to contact the DVLA was always left with the patient.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.