× Members

Am I likely to be removed from Support Group?

More
7 years 7 months ago #168391 by Faith
Hi,
I'm panicking & hoping for some info / advice.
In 2013 I had to transfer from IB to ESA & was put in Support Group. I've now been asked to reapply (received the dreaded ESA50 form) & have just read, in the Benefits & Work newsletter, that "support group entry for new claims has plummeted by more than 40%" so I'm wondering if this also effects people, like me, who are being reassessed? Will my claim be treated like a new application (meaning I'll likely lose Support Group status) or is it different with a renewal / reassessment? Any input much appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #168407 by Gordon

Aurla wrote: Hi,
I'm panicking & hoping for some info / advice.
In 2013 I had to transfer from IB to ESA & was put in Support Group. I've now been asked to reapply (received the dreaded ESA50 form) & have just read, in the Benefits & Work newsletter, that "support group entry for new claims has plummeted by more than 40%" so I'm wondering if this also effects people, like me, who are being reassessed? Will my claim be treated like a new application (meaning I'll likely lose Support Group status) or is it different with a renewal / reassessment? Any input much appreciated!

You should treat every ESA reassessment as a new claim and complete the ESA50 in detail and provide evidence to support your limitations, even if you have sent it in before.

It's unclear why there has been a reduction in SG award, certainly some of the reduction may be due to the new guidance on assessing Substantial Risk but there may be other reasons such as time of the year or geographical factors that is not revealed by the published information.

What I can say is that we have not noticed any particular downward trend on the forum, so it could also be a factor of how well presented the claimants information is.

Your best hope for staying in the SG is to show that you meet the criteria and if possible support this wit up to date evidence.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 7 months ago #168415 by Faith
Thanks so much for your response & the extra info you provided. I will fill out my new ESA50 form with as much care & detail as I did the original (3 yrs ago) & enclose all of my supporting evidence (from 2004 - 2016!) but I'm wondering if the DWP / decision maker will treat my application as if it's a new claim or if renewals / reassessments are viewed / judged differently? For instance, is the decision maker likely to know that I've been in the Support Group til now & then, seeing that my health has not improved at all, allow me to remain in SG?

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #168418 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Am I likely to be removed from Support Group?
Hi Auria,

Each assessment is treated as a stand-alone entity. It is likely that the assessor will have no prior knowledge of you or if you have made previous claims.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by slugsta.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #168420 by Gordon

Aurla wrote: Thanks so much for your response & the extra info you provided. I will fill out my new ESA50 form with as much care & detail as I did the original (3 yrs ago) & enclose all of my supporting evidence (from 2004 - 2016!) but I'm wondering if the DWP / decision maker will treat my application as if it's a new claim or if renewals / reassessments are viewed / judged differently? For instance, is the decision maker likely to know that I've been in the Support Group til now & then, seeing that my health has not improved at all, allow me to remain in SG?

It's very unlikely that the assessor or the Decision Maker will look at any of the information from your previous award, only what you submit in regard this reassessment, also the Decision will be based on how your conditions affect you now, so assume new.

Gordon

Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Gordon.

More
7 years 7 months ago #168423 by Faith
Oh dear. This is extremely worrying, in light of the sudden plummet in SG entries! I'm so scared now. There is no way I could cope with being in WRAG.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.