× Members

DLA to PIP - Who do I Inform of the change?

More
7 years 9 months ago #176794 by Loch
I have just been "transitioned" to PIP from DLA and thanks to your guides managed to move from DLA Higher Rate Care & Mobility to PIP Enhanced Rate Care & Mobility.

I had Indefinite DLA but only got a 5 year award for PIP because apparently I may improve after 5 years! Given that my condition has absolutely no chance of improving, I am disappointed, but I suppose not surprised.

Anyway my question is - who do I have to notify of the change from DLA to PIP?

Given that we have our own car but get free Car Tax under DLA. Will I have to notify the DVLA of the change and get exemption from paying tax due to PIP instead of DLA - or do I just leave it till renewal time?

Do I need to inform the Carer Service about the change as my wife gets Carers Allowance for me due to my getting DLA ?

And do I need to inform the DWP - as I get ESA with Premiums for DLA/CA and should now get the same premiums for PIP/CA. Will they already know this or am I assuming too much?

Ditto for Council Tax Allowance….do I need to contact my local council and tell them of the change.

My point is that although its a change in name - it's not really a change in circumstances (pardon the benefit letter related pun!)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #176816 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic DLA to PIP - Who do I Inform of the change?
Hi Colin,

Enhanced rate PIP entitles you to everything that high rate DLA did. As you say, this is not a change of circumstances.

It might be worth contacting the CA and Council Tax people, just on the off-chance that they have been notified that your DLA is ending but not that you are now entitled to PIP! But this is really a 'belt and braces' approach . . .

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid