× Members

Means Tested Benefits

More
7 years 3 months ago #179586 by AriesKaz
Means Tested Benefits was created by AriesKaz
Hi

I have another question in relation to my pending separation from my partner.

Am I right in saying that PIP doesn't get included as income for anyone applying for benefits such as housing benefit etc? I also get ESA but I believe that is included as income?

This is my only income so I want to be sure I have considered everything as much are possible in advance. I am trying to plan ahead so I can work out a budget of what I can afford for rent and bills each month.

Thanks in advance.

Kaz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #179594 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Means Tested Benefits

AriesKaz wrote: Hi

I have another question in relation to my pending separation from my partner.

Am I right in saying that PIP doesn't get included as income for anyone applying for benefits such as housing benefit etc? I also get ESA but I believe that is included as income?

This is my only income so I want to be sure I have considered everything as much are possible in advance. I am trying to plan ahead so I can work out a budget of what I can afford for rent and bills each month.

Thanks in advance.

Kaz

PIP is not normally treated as income when calculating deductions from other benefits. In fact, depending on your award and your circumstances as they are now, your PIP award may enable the payment of additional Premiums.

If you are trying to work out what you will receive you can put your information into one of the online benefit calculators. See

www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 3 months ago #179602 by AriesKaz
Replied by AriesKaz on topic Means Tested Benefits
Thanks Gordon.

I was awarded standard rate care and enhanced rate mobility in August 2016. Do you know if that qualifies for additional premiums?

I will have a look at that link.

Kaz

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #179603 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Means Tested Benefits
You can only be given premiums if you are in receipt of income-related ESA.

ESA Premiums

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by slugsta.

More
7 years 3 months ago #179612 by AriesKaz
Replied by AriesKaz on topic Means Tested Benefits
Thank you Mrs Hurtyback for your reply.

I am receiving income related ESA and I just filled in my details on the benefit calculator and it mentioned that I may get Universal Credit to replace some of the benefits I am getting currently.

I am a bit confused as I know nothing about Universal Credit but from what the calculation says it looks like I am likely to be worse off than I am now and that is obviously not a good thing. I am worried that I am going to struggle on my own.

Kaz

More
7 years 3 months ago #179632 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Means Tested Benefits

AriesKaz wrote: Thank you Mrs Hurtyback for your reply.

I am receiving income related ESA and I just filled in my details on the benefit calculator and it mentioned that I may get Universal Credit to replace some of the benefits I am getting currently.

I am a bit confused as I know nothing about Universal Credit but from what the calculation says it looks like I am likely to be worse off than I am now and that is obviously not a good thing. I am worried that I am going to struggle on my own.

Kaz

Universal Credit replaces a number of Income Related benefits such as ESA(IR) and Housing Benefit, at the moment only new claims are being accepted, there will come a time when existing claimants will be transferred but this is many years away.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris