× Members

ESA Form - what legislation was valid at the time

More
6 years 9 months ago #192229 by mandy76
Hi
I filled out an ESA form around May 2013 and the decision was notified on 15/11/2013. On the bottom of the form I completed it says ESA50_012013_006_001. Can you please direct me to the relevant archived forms in members' guides so I can check the legislation for that time as I am getting really confused.

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #192256 by Gordon
phidgity

There have been no changes to the ESA legislation, at least in regard to claiming, since January 2013, so the current guides reflect the law as it was when you were last assessed, there have been some changes to the guidance, but this accounts for several iterations of the guides and these are not online.

If you can explain what you are looking for I may be able to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 9 months ago #192273 by mandy76
Hi Gordon

I think I've worked it out. The claim form filled out in around May 2013 was the ESA50 which included the full changes, as being identified by "page 20 "cancer treatment". I just wanted to make sure we know what the legislation was at the time when husband completed his last ESA50. This relates to a separate post I made a few days ago about husband having to have a telephone compliance interview. Since that last post husband has spoken to Compliance Officer again. I will update the post I made regarding this matter.

As ever, your advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

More
6 years 9 months ago #192327 by mandy76
Good afternoon

WCA Handbook MED-ESAAR2011/2012 dated 05/07/16.
Page 83 - 3.2.2 Mobilising unaided by another person with or without a walking stick, manual wheelchair or other aid if such aid is normally, or could reasonably be, worn or used. Scope - This activity relates primarily to lower limb function. It is intended to reflect the level of mobility a person would need in order to be able to move reasonably within and around an indoor environment.”

Mods, please can you tell me whether this is actually what is being assessed,- ability to move reasonably within and around an indoor environment?

Handbook also says, “Details of daily living – consider claimant’s ability in relation to: Mobility around the home; Attending appointments; Shopping trips; Exercising pets; Leisure activities”.

Whilst I understand the need to look at how above activities are carried out, is it not intended to assess the mobility a person would need in order to be able to move reasonably within and around an indoor environment i.e., workplace? I think what I’m trying to ascertain is: what’s the law when it comes to scope of the activity – moving around indoors?

Further it says, “When estimating distances over which a claimant can mobilise you should not take account of brief pauses made out of choice rather than necessity. The end point is when the claimant can reasonably proceed no further because of substantial pain, discomfort, fatigue or distress”.

So, what about person who’s in a situation of having reached stated distance but in severe pain for entire duration, stops and then continues moving but still with severe pain. And, only does so because: 1. They live with constant severe pain 2. Tries to be stoic 3. Is following medical advice re muscle wastage but, in doing so has to battle pain and cannot repeat moving with reasonable regularity?

And, am I correct in thinking “majority of the time” does not mean never?

Is duration of “stops” defined in law? For example, stopping to ease severe pain and compose oneself before continuing but still having severe pain upon resuming moving. What is reasonable concerning lengths of stops, 1 minute, 5 minutes, longer. Any ideas please?

Sorry for length of post and many thanks as always.

More
6 years 9 months ago #192357 by Gordon
phidgity

A reminder to be cautious about the information you provide, you are seeking answers to questions that might not be asked and even if asked, this may be done by a person who may not be qualified to interpret your answers. You don't want to create further questions because you have volunteered information that was not requested.

As to ESA Mobility.

First remember it is two tests, the ability of the claimant to walk and secondly their ability to self-propel a manual wheelchair, both are considered for an award.

Claimants are not required to mobilise pain free but any significant discomfort or exhaustion that limits the distance that they can mobilise should be taken into account.

The mobilising should be done on level ground, the intention is that this be indoors, in the workplace but the Descriptors make no specific reference to this, so walking outside (on a flat surface) could also be taken into account.

In addition to distance the test specifically requires it to be done in a reasonable time. This is not just a reflection of the speed of walking but should also take into account any stops that the claimant might make when walking.

There is no definition of what a reasonable time is, but it should be possible to argue that someone walking very slowly would not meet the requirement. The DWP calculate this as about 40m per minute, which would mean a time of 1 minute and 15 seconds for the 50m.

So someone walking faster but having to stop could still meet the requirement.

Claimants must be able to repeat the distance within a reasonable time. Again this is not defined. A few minutes may be considered as acceptable, 5-10 may not and an hour or more certainly wouldn't.

The mobilising must be done reliably, so in addition to the above, the claimant must be able to do complete the activity whenever they are required to do so. So if the claimant could mobilise on one day, but as a result of doing so could not do so the next day, then this should also be considered.

Finally, if a claimant is accepted as being unable to complete an activity at the beginning of the day or at some time afterwards is considered to be unable to complete that activity for the whole day.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 9 months ago #192384 by mandy76
Thank you so much Gordon, your reply is very helpful and very much appreciated.

Yes, have absolutely taken on board must be cautious about info provided. I think it's just the shock of it all and doing everything possible to try to clear one's name. Will only volunteer info requested promise!:)

Appreciate activity is not only about walking but also using aids - stick, wheelchair etc. Hubby does use a stick but has not been able to recently due to dislocating his thumb a few weeks back. He was fitted with a splint at the minor injuries unit. Frequent dislocations of both thumbs is something he's had to deal with for many years.

He's never been advised to use a wheelchair because physiotherapists and knee surgeons etc want him to try to reverse muscle wastage hence he's been advised to exercise as and when he can including swimming. He does try to walk but not far, has to stop and is always in considerable pain. He goes to over 50's swimming were they provide adaptions for the disabled to get in/out of pool.

He only has a very small windows when he can even attempt any exercise due to effects of medication, REM sleep disorder which causes sleep deprivation. Over last few weeks his CPAP machine has recorded he's getting very little sleep.

He's on heavy meds that it affects is cognition as well as physically, for example, a few weeks ago, and for about a week, he was taking a double dose of Pregabalin without realising his mistake. Fortunately, this has been recorded by GP.

Concerning your last paragraph, "if a claimant is accepted as being unable to complete an activity at the beginning of the day, or at some time afterwards, is considered to be unable to complete that activity for the whole day." Is this true for ESA as well as PIP as I thought "at any point during the day" was just for PIP?

Thanks again. I know I'm probably being a pain but truly this has really distressed us both.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.