× Members

Going out? confusion, cant grasp it

More
6 years 9 months ago #193632 by Dribble
Going out? confusion, cant grasp it was created by Dribble
Hi Folks
nedd to finally clarify this question Going Out.
Have serious mobility issues, am 90% always accompanied on journeys and mostly always the passenger, as driving becomes painfull to now do.
Also if out I get anxious I may fall and I deffo cant get up without huge help, more than one person needed to get me up, cant use knees.
so I rely heavily on my mobility car and built in sat nav, my son does most of driving in week , my husband etc the weekends.
I have to know if their are toilet stops available on route, also I need to get out and move, else stiffness is horrendous, being sat still for any short time, hence I become very anxious if I have to go anywhere, often doing trial runs so I know what Im dealing with, calms me down.
So my point is , I didnt complete this question on form as foolishly I didnt think It applied to my case as I have no mental health issues, apart from my condition making my anxiety much greater when going out.
So in my f2f next week , I desperately need to know which descriptor best fits my case and which one im more in chance of realistically achieving if any and please be brutal coz id rather be upset now than infront of assessors, many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #193636 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Going out? confusion, cant grasp it
Dribble

The Going Out activity looks at three things.

Planning a route - this is primarily a cognitive or sensory (e.g. blindness) activity. You are being asked about the problems you would have with working out how to get from one place to another, you do not need to be able to follow the route that you are planning..

Undertaking a Journey - this is do with mental health issues such as agoraphobia and social anxiety and is concerned with you leaving the house to go somewhere, they will be interested in the things that stop you doing this. You need to show that you would suffer "overwhelming psychological distress" to meet the criteria.

Following a route - the DWP regard this as a cognitive or sensory activity to do with navigating the route, SO are there problems that would prevent you from doing this? This is different from undertaking a journey, in fact if you cannot undertake a journey then you will struggle to score points for following one. The reasons that you are unable to follow or navigate the route must not be due to psychological distress.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 9 months ago #193639 by Dribble
Replied by Dribble on topic Going out? confusion, cant grasp it
sorry Gordon but im none the wiser, so basically if you have physical issues/ mobility your saying you cant get any points on this question? even if that disability causes mental distress on going out. sorry i know im being dim but im baffled, seems a convenient get out for the dwp to me . what do you advise i do

More
6 years 9 months ago #193643 by Gordon

Dribble wrote: sorry Gordon but im none the wiser, so basically if you have physical issues/ mobility your saying you cant get any points on this question? even if that disability causes mental distress on going out. sorry i know im being dim but im baffled, seems a convenient get out for the dwp to me . what do you advise i do

I think it very unlikely that you will score points in the Going Out activity for a physical problem that are directly linked to walking. The DWP have created a clear division between the two Mobility activities.

You may be able to argue that a physical problem (not linked to walking) might lead to either cognitive or anxiety problems that would prevent your from navigating (following) a route but it won't be easy and might require direct evidence of your problems.

It is even more difficult to link a physical problem to being unable to undertake a journey, especially as the standard required for an award is very high.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 9 months ago #193647 by Dribble
Replied by Dribble on topic Going out? confusion, cant grasp it
so could I claim that due to poor hand/ wrist dexterity driving is painful and cant always use the sat nav unassisted, hence i get stressed out trying to drive?
Also how do you define "direct evidence of your problems" is that physical examination or medical history? or other? thankyou

More
6 years 9 months ago #193661 by Gordon

Dribble wrote: so could I claim that due to poor hand/ wrist dexterity driving is painful and cant always use the sat nav unassisted, hence i get stressed out trying to drive?
Also how do you define "direct evidence of your problems" is that physical examination or medical history? or other? thankyou

It's not a good example I'm afraid, the physical problem must lead to sufficient anxiety that you are unable to follow a route and specifically to navigate it.

Car and High Street purchased sat navs are not classed as an orientation aid for PIP, so you your being unable to use one does not count towards you being unable to navigate and you refer to driving when the test is about navigation.

I know this will be frustrating but this is all about lining up the dominoes; physical problem -> anxiety -> unable to navigate.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.