× Members

PIP Assessments - Mental State Examination

More
6 years 9 months ago #202379 by Makfai
I have noticed that reference is made - in a PIP Consultation Report Form - PA4 which refers to applicants with mental health conditions - to the assessor conducting a 'Mental State Examination', abbreviated to 'MSE'.

This is clearly some recognised medical assessment process but I cannot find it described in HMGs Personal Independence Payment (PIP) assessment guide for assessment providers
www.gov.uk/government/publications/perso...assessment-providers

Do you know anything about this MSE and by whom it was designed/approved? Is it a nationally recognised 'tool' authorised by NICE or NHS etc? Is a copy of the MSE available to the public?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #202404 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Assessments - Mental State Examination
FM

They use several simple tests, counting back from 99 in 7s, remembering 3 or 4 items and understanding a complicated sentence.

These are standard tests, but do not have the weight of evidence that assessors and Decision Makers apply to them, a GP might use them to indicate the possibility of mental health problems but would never consider them as a definitive diagnostic tool.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Makfai

More
6 years 9 months ago #202415 by Makfai
Replied by Makfai on topic PIP Assessments - Mental State Examination
I have had a good look online and found some older sources of information on the process as a diagnostic tool but can't find anything requiring/justifying its use in the PIP assessment context.

More
6 years 9 months ago #202423 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Assessments - Mental State Examination

FM wrote: I have had a good look online and found some older sources of information on the process as a diagnostic tool but can't find anything requiring/justifying its use in the PIP assessment context.

You won't.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 9 months ago #202426 by Makfai
The following user(s) said Thank You: phoz, Gordon

More
6 years 9 months ago #202474 by Makfai
Replied by Makfai on topic PIP Assessments - Mental State Examination
I can't find reference to the MSE in the guidance produced by Benefits and Work advice and it came as a bit of a surprise that such a model is used with applicants with mental health aspects.

Can I siuggest that reference to it be updated?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid