× Members

Inattention when UC50 was filled in & WCA tomorrow

More
6 years 2 months ago #210087 by polymathone
Hello there,
I've just subscribed in a desperate bid to save my friend from his ESA claim taking a turn for the worse at his WCA tomorrow and I couldn't find answers to the questions that are bouncing about in my head.
My friend has a background of suicide attempts and severe anxiety and depression. His last one was an overdose of prescription drugs in 10/2017 when he found himself unable to cope with added stress and chaos at work - after he had to take over workloads or people whom the organisation could no longer afford to keep on - and an ongoing battle with his ex-wife regarding contact with his son. He has been claiming UC since then and has been providing fit notes etc as and when required.
I've found out earlier today that he has his WCA tomorrow lunchtime (I am accompanying him) and that he hasn't got any idea if he filled in a UC50 ("there was some long form I filled in but no idea what it was called or if it was, indeed, for the current claim or the previous one!") nor what the questions/answers were. I'm on ESA (support group) myself and am only too aware that this could turn into a disaster!
I am wondering whether any of my ideas could work to work towards some damage limitation:
* Is it possible to download, complete, print and sign the UC50 and take it with us to the WCA?
* I am working on the presumption that we won't be able to initiate and have ready any substantiating medical evidence to hand in at the interview, especially knowing that his GP works only 2 days a week, BUT would it perhaps be possible to send/hand/fax such information AFTER the WCA to help the DWP decision maker with their decision?!?
* Is there any way that the appointment could be postponed (they cancelled once, and my friend cancelled once)?

I can't think of any other last-minute measures that could help prevent having to go through an appeal process.
Does the fact that he is also in receipt of PiP make any difference?
Also, after having another look through all the online UC profile tasks etc we can't find anything about a UC50, however, that said, the WCA booklet that was sent with the appointment letter mentions the UC50. Tbh, at this late a stage it probably makes little difference whether he has or hasn't filled it in, safe to say that asking someone with severe and acute mental health issues to actively engage with even a take-away menu would constitute stress at the time. And now, me bringing it up is making him so anxious that I feel like I'm walking on eggshells, trying not to say anything that could make matters worse.
I would greatly appreciate any input at all, and if possible before 13:00 tomorrow (10/10), though I know that's probably being a bit hopeful, but hope does proverbially spring eternal, does it not?!? :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #210092 by Gordon
Simone

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

You can download a copy of the UC50 from the following link

www.gov.uk/government/publications/uc50-...r-work-questionnaire

Our ESA Claim guides (the criteria is the same for UC), can help to complete it although I think you are being optimistic in doing this in time for the assessment.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

A more practical alternative may be a letter, in the same basic format, summarising their problems.

In either case, ask the assessor to read the document/letter before they start the interview and include it in the claimants file when it is returned to the DWP. I would actually send a copy to the DWP directly.

If the claimant has already cancelled one appointment then this one cannot be arranged and they must attend, failing to do so will likely result in the claim being closed.

Decision usually take 2-4 weeks so there is an opportunity to send more information to the DWP in regard the claim, in practical terms it needs to be the first two weeks and not the last ones.

PIP has different criteria from ESA there are some areas of crossover but not enough to guarantee an ESA award, I would certainly send any PIP information that is relevant but don't rely on it.

Lastly, there is a section in the ESA Guides that covers the assessment and the questions they are likely to be asked.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: polymathone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.