× Members

IS to ESA IR SG

More
6 years 2 months ago #211150 by nonsmoker2008
IS to ESA IR SG was created by nonsmoker2008
Hi

After 20 something years on Income Support and a decade with Carers Allowance because I was caring for an AS child/adult I became really ill myself to the point I received DLA high on both indefinitely which became PIP Enhanced minimum 10 years on both. However it has come to the point where I am no longer able to even provide the supervision and prompting he requires, so can no longer be his carer and he will be moving on to somewhere more suitable.

This leaves me facing drastic changes not least because I am in an unsuitable property for my own multiple 24/7 needs and if I am to move I have to hand my notice in here by June 8th or they will want another 6 month tenancy with ridiculous clauses about moving before time is up as no break clause so have to agree to pay rent til they find another tenant right up to end of tenancy... but I digress.

I am currently fighting my local council regarding an extra bedroom for a carer in social housing but have had the opportunity to apply for a shared ownership new build round the corner from where Ive spent all my life with a Home Ownership for people with Long term Disabilities shared ownership mortgage. When the housing group finally clear my application the property will be available end of May so just 1 months double rent to find

This would be all good if DWP hadn't sent me the brown envelope for my son to change his indef high DLA to a PIP claim. I am his appointee but have already requested the 2 week extension til May 8th as I just don't know what to do.

In an ideal world I would close my claim for carers right now. This presumably would immediately trigger a change to ESA IR assessment? (UC not coming to my area til July). I am currently receiving Housing Benefit and when/if I finally get my shared ownership approval and Notice of Sale starts I would the be looking at a H.Ben and SMI loan mixture, which is where I think its going to get confusing.

Can anyone tell me how SMI will work with a move from IS to ESA right in the middle of it that I cant see how to delay 'til after proposed home move? I just need IS for a couple of months more to see this housing situation through and then its fine, but Im guessing there is no run-on period?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #211167 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic IS to ESA IR SG
nonsmoker2008

Closing your Income Support claim will not result in you being moved to ESA, you will need to make a new claim for ESA.

SMI is no longer available, since the beginning of April, the DWP now offer a loan at preferential rates, as you have been claiming Income Support for some time I would not expect you to have to wait the 39 weeks that normally applies and it should be seamlessly moved to ESA if you claim this as soon as you close your IS claim.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 2 months ago #211174 by nonsmoker2008
Replied by nonsmoker2008 on topic IS to ESA IR SG
Thanks Gordon, although I probably gave too much info and confused the issue. One of my questions was if I call to cancel the Carers Allowance part of my Income Support, will there be any run on before they say as you are not not working because you are no longer a carer you cant claim IS anymore and have to claim ESA instead?

Sorry for the confusion

More
6 years 2 months ago #211177 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic IS to ESA IR SG

nonsmoker2008 wrote: Thanks Gordon, although I probably gave too much info and confused the issue. One of my questions was if I call to cancel the Carers Allowance part of my Income Support, will there be any run on before they say as you are not not working because you are no longer a carer you cant claim IS anymore and have to claim ESA instead?

Sorry for the confusion

From what I can see there is an eight week run on of Income Support, however I am a little concerned over the context of the CA stopping in the documentation that I am reading, so I would confirm this with the DWP before making any decision to close your CA claim.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 2 months ago #211189 by nonsmoker2008
Will do. Thank you

More
6 years 2 months ago #211218 by nonsmoker2008
Just a small update.

I managed to speak with Carers today and they told me that its actually possible to have a 4 week respite from being a carer receiving CA (as long as you tell them obviously) whilst maintaining entitlement and not having to reapply.

Income Support then told me that as long as Carers Allowance are informed of the above then during the respite the IS can continue and they also confirmed the run on of 8 weeks you mentioned Gordon, should I decide to make it permanent.

The finally duck in a row I am trying to find out please is, when changing from being a disabled carer on IS to a new claim of ESA IR, hopefully SG, it says something about getting a sick note from your GP before you can apply. If you haven't worked in 30 plus years, does that requirement still count?
(For the record I'm on 10 years (minimum) enhanced PIP, have a care and support package for myself from social services and am just starting the journey for a NHS continuing care).
I am quite sure I will qualify for ESA IR SG - hopefully without much of a fight - but don't understand the sicknote thing in the context of 30 years unemployed/family carer

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.