× Members

PIP MR

More
6 years 1 month ago #215675 by suep
PIP MR was created by suep
Hi. Only got 6 points on DLA to PIP transfer and preparing an MR. I said I can't prepare food at all due to chronic hand eczema but only got 2 points for aids. I don't use any apart from prescribed cotton gloves which don't protect from raw food juices.water etc and assessor doesn't say what aids would be. However Decision Maker says award aids for breathlessness. I have asthma too and was ill on day of assessment. I'm seeing my derm doc on Fri re another letter of support challenging Preparing Food descriptor. Is there any specific way to word it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #215682 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP MR
Sue

Their letter, ideally, needs to address the Preparing Food Descriptors and why you cannot fulfil them, for example; could you wear latex or rubber gloves over your cotton ones when cooking and if not why not?

There is a list of aids that the DWP will consider that you can use in the section for each activity in the PIP Claim guide, you need to explain why these cannot be used to overcome some of your problems.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: suep

More
6 years 1 month ago #215734 by suep
Replied by suep on topic PIP MR
Thanks Gordon. Allergic to latex and nitrile and vinyl cause heavy sweating causing skin to macerate and itch badly. Derm did explain in a great letter send with my claim but seem to have ignored.

More
6 years 1 month ago #215747 by Gordon

suep wrote: Thanks Gordon. Allergic to latex and nitrile and vinyl cause heavy sweating causing skin to macerate and itch badly. Derm did explain in a great letter send with my claim but seem to have ignored.

I think you need to go back to scratch, assessors and Decision Makers lack imagination and often fail to understand what I will call less mainstream conditions.

Start by explaining why you cannot deal with the cooking ingredients directly, be explicit about the results that happen were you to do so, then go on to explain why aids such as rubber or latex gloves cannot be used to help you overcome these issues, lastly explain why general cooking aids do not allow you to circumvent the problems.

If you have similar problems with some of the other PIP activities then repeat the above, don't assume that those reading the information will understand unless you spell it out in simple steps.

I'll be honest and say that the best you may be able to score for is requiring Assistance
which scores 4 points.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 1 month ago #215801 by suep
Replied by suep on topic PIP MR
Appropriate use of words there Gordon-"back to scratch" re eczema. Sorry my sense of humour is a bit twisted. I'd argued for assistance as my husband prepares food. Nearly got it too!! Assessor had put on form that he'd orginally considered it but because muscular/skeletal exam was normal he only awarded aids. I wasn't claiming for any probs with my bones/muscles. My skin is the prob. The deep,open sores and wounds cause the pain.

More
6 years 1 month ago #215815 by Gordon
Sue

Sorry about the pun.

You need to look at each Descriptor and show that you cannot complete it reliably on the majority of days, so if they are arguing the use of aids in the kitchen then you need to show that you cannot use these and why.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: suep

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid