× Members

Inheritance & contribution-based ESA support group

More
6 years 1 month ago #215710 by Jazzie
I am on contribution-based ESA in the support group. I have M.E. and I live with my 92 year old mother for whom I provide care and supervision on a daily basis. I am single with no private pension or alternative income. I have had M.E. for over 20 years with short periods of being in work.

My mother's solicitor has suggested putting 15% of her property in my name to reduce the inheritance tax liability on her estate. The house will only be sold if she either needs residential care or when she dies.

I have 3 siblings and we are all in my mother's will. As only I live in the property, the 15% has to be put in my name. The 15% of the house would be portioned off to us all on probate but would be in my safe-keeping if she goes into residential care first.

1. Would my CB ESA be stopped when the house is sold and I receive 15% (under whatever circumstances)?
2. Would this also apply once I'm migrated over to Universal Credit?
3. Would I need to inform the DWP if 15% of the house is put in my name but it is yet to be sold?

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #215725 by Gordon
Jasmine

1. ESA(CB) is not affected by your savings and assets so as long as you do not receive any ESA(IR) it will not be an issue.

2. ESA(CB) will not be migrated to Universal Credit, this only affects Income Related benefits.

3. There is no reason that you need to contact the DWP about this based on your post.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jazzie

More
6 years 1 month ago #215730 by Jazzie
Thank you Gordon.

Re your answer to question 1. Can you receive ESA which is partly IR and partly CB?

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid