× Members

Going out ? Planning a journey

More
6 years 1 month ago #215920 by John
Going out ? Planning a journey was created by John
Hi on the going out question for mobility on pip planing a journey . I only go out in the car with my son driving period . So at the review i say i plan a journey as i dont go out alone and of i do i go in my sons car .. i can not walk i the street or meet people or even walk past anyone without thinking i am being judged and stared at it causes me great stress and paranoid thoughts of self harm . So i dont walk anywere . I carnt use public transport because of the above but also have a dissorder what makes me think my body is larger and dissportionate causing me to were big tops so hideing my body under clothes . Their is no way i can plan a journey . What i want to no is am i ansering the question wrong by saying i only go out in the car with my son . Should i be saying what i carnt do instead of telling them what i can do .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #215947 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Going out ? Planning a journey
John

You need to understand the criteria against which you are being assessed, based on your post you are saying you meet three different Descriptors but because the context for each is wrong would most likely score zero points.

The Going Out activity looks at three things.

Planning a route - this is primarily a cognitive or sensory (e.g. blindness) activity. You are being asked about the problems you would have with working out how to get from one place to another, you do not need to be able to follow the route that you are planning.

Undertaking a Journey - this is do with mental health issues such as agoraphobia and social anxiety and is concerned with you leaving the house to go somewhere, they will be interested in the things that stop you doing this. You need to show that you would suffer "overwhelming psychological distress" to meet the criteria.

Following a route - This activity about the problems you would have navigating a route. So are there problems; cognitive, sensory or mental health issues that would prevent you from doing this? This is different from undertaking a journey, in fact, if you cannot undertake a journey then you will not score points for following one and vice versa.

So you need to decide which Descriptor(s) you believe you meet on the majority of days and then argue that you meet the criteria, make sure that you echo the requirements, for example; anxiety will not substitute for overwhelming psychological distress.

See our PIP Claim guide for more details.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid