× Members

What happens when I retire?

More
6 years 1 month ago #217619 by Andyb53
What happens when I retire? was created by Andyb53
I find myself in a very odd situation and would appreciate some advice.

I am 64 yrs old, approaching retirement, I am registered disabled and on ESA in the Support Group due to ill health. Until 5 years ago, I had worked all my life paying tax etc.
I am currently receiving the new Support for Mortgage interest (secured on my home) and full Council Tax rebate. In October I hit 65 and receive my state pension of, I have been told £175pw this is above the Pension Credit limit. Will my SMI and Council Tax rebates stop when I get my pension? I would not be able to pay my Mortgage or Council Tax on the Pension alone. How do I stand?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #217624 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic What happens when I retire?
Andy

The SMI loan is wholly dependant on your receiving an income-related benefit such as ESA(IR) or Pension Credit, so if you do not qualify for PC then the load will be stopped although it does not become repayable/

Talk to your Local Authority about the discount, at the moment I imagine it is enabled by your SG award but there may be alternative, for example; have you looked at whether you would be eligible for PIP?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid