× Members

Why haven't I heard from ESA?

More
6 years 2 days ago #218367 by hippyhappy
Why haven't I heard from ESA? was created by hippyhappy
I have been on ESA for at least ten years. Originally I was on contributions based, in WRAG after two truly horrendous medicals (I was asked why I haven't killed myself yet) but I was never asked to participate in any WRA. Then the law changed that you could only get it for one year (contributions based). However, as they were still paying my NI stamp, I still had to reapply at the end of the next year. So I did. Then very much to my surprise, ( and relief) I got a letter to say that I was now in the support group, without a medical. That was about 6 years ago and I haven't heard anything from them since.
I have had to change over from DLA to PIP two years ago. Is it likely that they have used my application for that to reassess me for ESA? My PIP application was quite grim and there was evidence of quite severe and ongoing MH problems.
Obviously I don't want to go through the trauma of reapplying but I am sure it will happen one day. My friend on the other hand has had to reapply every year and she is in the support group too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 days ago #218375 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Why haven't I heard from ESA?
hippyhappy

The DWP deferred a large number of reassessments about three years ago, for about 12-18 months, perhaps yours was one of these.

Assessments can also be done without the claimant's input if their conditions warrant it and the Assessment Provider is able to source information from their medical contacts.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: hippyhappy

More
6 years 2 days ago #218390 by phrank
Replied by phrank on topic Why haven't I heard from ESA?
Going back to March 2015, I had my last ESA assessment.

As I'd heard nothing from them, I think it was January this year, I gave them a call. The call handler said I was due to be contacted on the 17th of December 2019.

I don't know if this is relevant, or that I've been assessed without been contacted.

The girl I spoke to on the phone did say something about the 'nurse had decided this'. I just dismissed this as her just waffling.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else had had any similar kind of experience?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I can't find my original thread re this which I did post around the time.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid