× Members

Exhaustion and fatigue

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #218647 by gilders
Exhaustion and fatigue was created by gilders
I recently had my DLA to PIP assessment and have gone from high rate DLA mobility to just 4 points PIP for mobility component. I do have conditions which cause pain with mobility, but the main thing that limits my mobility is exhaustion and fatigue.

The assessor assessed my ability of how far I could walk on touching my knees whilst I was asked to raise them, whilst sat down and her own intuition. One leg was assessed as normal and the other as slightly weak. This seems to be a completely inaccurate way of judging how far someone can walk. I do have some "brute" strength in my arms and legs, but no stamina whatsoever.
I do have many medical conditions that cause fatigue and weakness (awaiting kidney transplant, vasculitis, Rheumatoid arthritis, heart failure, copd, to name but a few).

What I want to know is, is it worth me appealing on the basis of fatigue, exhaustion and weakness, or are these symptoms not classed as disabling (even though I know they are)?

I was given a glass of water during the assessment and the assessor could see that my hands were shaking and I struggled not to spill. All my points I scored on care component were related to my shaking hands. I was pleased that I scored 12 points for care, but very concerned that if I hadn't have been offered a glass of water, I may have ended up with no points. My claim form was filled in with plenty of details, examples and a fortnight diary. I don't believe any of the claim form was taken in to consideration, but the whole of my PIP was based on how I held a cup of water.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #218658 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Exhaustion and fatigue
gilders

Only you can make this decision, the PIP equivalent to DLA HRM is a standard award so you have fallen short of this.

You must be able to complete the PIP activities, mobility included, reliably and on the majority of days, your fatigue may mean that you cannot do this but you will need to explain why this is the case

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid