× Members

My appeal is on 1st November

More
5 years 11 months ago #220042 by Symone
My appeal is on 1st November was created by Symone
Hi everyone I am in need of some help. My appeal is set for a week on Thursday and I’m so dreading it. I have a whole range of illnesses I’m a chronic asthmatic I’ve arthritis, autoimmune disease fibromyalgia sciatica anxiety and depression and most recently diagnosed with PTSD. I already get the enhanced rate for daily living and only standard for mobility( I am 1 point off enhanced).
I am beside myself knowing I’ve to attend this court date next week and any advice would be gratefully received in helping to get my standard changed to enhanced. I walk with two sticks and have for years I’m a stubborn mare at times determined even if extremely painful to do it try for short periods when not which is more and more often I have a wheelchair. I was assessed at William Merit and they also said I should never have to go through this it should of been awarded enhanced from start I was way underscored in his opinion. It took me 11 months to get a date for appeal as they said never received first 2 letters with mandatory reconsideration 3rd I sent recorded delivery but it was just a line on signature and again said not received so sent it tracked and they eventually got the 4th one. I was told be 19 weeks and it’s ended up being 31 weeks to get my date in end and now it’s nearly here I’m getting so worked up about it. I learnt to drive 4 years ago for a bit of independence so not spending a fortune on taxis and to get myself and kids to park and now even that is agony as it’s so low to drive and it’s a manual and so frustrating knowing some people know how to work the system that don’t need the help get it and is that genuinely do have to fight so hard to get it.

Sorry for the essay but if any one can help point me in right direction that could help I’d be grateful.
Many thanks. Xx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #220044 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic My appeal is on 1st November
Symone

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

If you are appealing purely on the basis of your Moving Around then you will need to show that you cannot reliably stand and move (walk) more than 20m on the majority of days.

These terms and more about the Moving Around activity are included in our PIP Claim guide on the following link.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

If you have a more specific question then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 11 months ago #220045 by Symone
Replied by Symone on topic My appeal is on 1st November
Hi Gordon

They have agreed that I cannot walk more than 20 meters and that I am awarded it but I will have to get my form out and check again why it was only 11 points was awarded. They also said that my anxiety and depression couldn’t be taken into account but there was a cut off period for them to say it couldn’t be acknowledged for an assessment but mine was placed before it was cut off. I hope that makes sense. I now have my wheelchair that can only be used when my husband with me and I have to use shop ones as I cannot lift it into my car nor have space to do so. I have a 3 door hatchback.

Symone

More
5 years 11 months ago #220046 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic My appeal is on 1st November
Symone

The moving Around activity is very black and white, either you meet the criteria or not and if you do then you should have an Enhanced award. Your use of a wheelchair will not be considered, it is purely a walking test.

You may be able to score for the Going Out activity it looks at three things.

Planning a route - this is primarily a cognitive or sensory (e.g. blindness) activity. You are being asked about the problems you would have with working out how to get from one place to another, you do not need to be able to follow the route that you are planning.

Undertaking a Journey - this is to do with mental health issues such as agoraphobia and social anxiety and is concerned with you leaving the house to go somewhere, they will be interested in the things that stop you doing this. You need to show that you would suffer "overwhelming psychological distress" to meet the criteria.

Following a route - This activity about the problems you would have navigating a route. So are there problems; cognitive, sensory or mental health issues that would prevent you from doing this? This is different from undertaking a journey, in fact, if you cannot undertake a journey then you will not score points for following one and vice versa.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid