× Members

Coming of ESA & PIP

More
5 years 11 months ago #220089 by Redwood
Coming of ESA & PIP was created by Redwood
Hi,

I have Complex PTSD. In light of the recent delay for Universal Credit if I come off ESA (Support Group High Mobility, High Care) and I can't hold down the job for long will I be able to reinstate ESA as things stand?

Will I lose all my PIP too?

Thanks

Redwood

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #220102 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Coming of ESA & PIP
Redwood

I am struggling to find a definitive answer but the majority view seems to be as follows.

If you are receiving Contribution Based ESA then you should be able to link back to your previous claim providing you do so within 12 weeks, however, you will need to claim what is called New Style ESA rather than what is now called legacy ESA. Your SG award should be reinstated.

If you are receiving Income Related ESA then you will need to claim Universal Credit. There is no linking rule between ESA and UC, so it will be a new claim and you will have to go through a new assessment to re-establish your SG status, referred to as LCWRA in UC.

Your PIP will not be affected and you are not required to inform the DWP that you are starting work, however, it may disadvantage you if you do not and your starting work is considered to be the result of an improvement in your conditions.

I would recommend you have a look at our guide to Permitted Work in the ESA section before you make any decision as this may offer a viable alternative without risking your current ESA award.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid