× Members

Starting self-employment whilst on benefits

More
5 years 9 months ago #222415 by adamlomax1988
Starting self-employment whilst on benefits was created by adamlomax1988
Hi everyone,

I've been on the LCWRA group (so I receive the disability element within my UC claim) the last month or so, but feel ready to move into some kind of work and self-employment feels the most appropriate due to my disability. It's just 10 hours a week from home as it's all I can manage. I have a Fibromyalgia and am unable to walk more than 20 metres. I've let UC know and they've asked me to go for a 'Self employment appointment,' next week. Does anyone know what this involves?

Also am I correct in thinking that the DWP ignores the first £409 of your income per month (I'm not on Housing Benefit), and then for every £1 you earn after that, UC is reduced by 63%?

Just trying to get an idea of how much my award would be per month.

Thanks,

Adam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #222424 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Starting self-employment whilst on benefits
A

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

Please make sure that the work that you are intending to do does not conflict with your LCWRA and PIP awards if it does or is believed to be then one or both benefits could be reassessed.

There s no specific requirement for you to notify the DWP office dealing with your PIP claim but it may disadvantage you if your claim is reassessed and you have not told them that you are working.

The appointment, I think, is called a "gateway interview'".

When you go to the interview you'll need to show that you're self-employed, so you need to take things like:

your business plan - GOV.UK has guidance on writing a business plan if you don’t have one
invoices
receipts
accounts
proof that you’re registered as self-employed with HMRC

You might not need all these documents, but you should take enough to show that you are (or intend to be) working as self-employed.

In particular, you should ask whether the "minimum income floor" will apply to you now, in 12 months time, or not at all. If the MIF is applied then it will significantly reduce the amount of UC that you are entitled to as the DWP will assume that you are earning a certain amount through your self-employment, whether you actually are or not.

Yes, the Higher Work Allowance is £409 and the taper is 63%.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid