× Members

Please help and advise

More
5 years 9 months ago #222423 by Angela
Please help and advise was created by Angela
Hi Everyone,
I have been a member for just over a year and have never posted before and I would like some help and advice please. I have a chronic disease Systemic Lupus along with a degenerative back and hip condition classified disabled and in receipt of Disability Benefit. I was diagnosed back in 2000 and was placed on Incapacity benefit and them moved over to ESA which in 2014 was reviewed and although my benefit officer agreed I was not really fit for work the Goverment deemed i should go to work. I took on a part time job but struggled to work with the lupus and the on going joint and back problems .I struggled to worked just 20hrs a week and did not earn enough to pay National Insurance. I decided for health reasons to give the job up and go self employed so i could be a little more flexible as Lupus Is so unpredictable and my joints were becoming worse. All the while i am under my consultants care and on a lot of strong medication to keep me going and working. All well and good but I am unable to work enough hours to make enough money to pay national insurance. Skip forward to today i am now in a position that i am struggling to work 10hrs a week i am in alot of pain and on strong painkillers and immunosuppresents. Quite frankly just moving and walking is incredibly painful. My hip and back have degenerated even more to the point i struggle to stand and sit for long and can not bend down and the Lupus keeps flaring making my joints stiff and swollen and so incredibly tired and depressed. Both my consultants feel it would be best I gave up work and I reluctantly agree having tried to struggle on. I am 53 years old married. Having worked all my life until i was diagnosed I have tried to work for the past four years with my health and hours of work decreasing, I now find myself in the position unable to claim contribution ESA as I have not earnt enough money to pay contributions. I paid voluntary contributions which i thought went towards the sickness benefit and pension only to find it went only to my pension when I tried to claim, had no one told me this what was going on . I am unable to claim income related as my self employed husband had a reasonable year and was just over the limit, and I have a daughter who works and currently still lives at home. This year has not been such a good year as my husband has had several operations and been off work sick,has had to look after me and take me to hospital appointments. All this and a few slow weeks have taken its toll on our finances.My husband has a little bit of savings but it is dwindling fast and i have no savings whatsoever. To top it off Working tax credit informed us that they paid far more than we should have had last year so we are also paying that back.We were unaware that it was a good year until the figures came back from the accountant in June . Now our income Is way below as I am struggling to work. Bottom line Is I need to give up work, I need to be able to claim ESA I have tried to do the right thing and struggled on working I am at a loss . Can anyone please help or advise I would be very grateful
A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #222430 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Please help and advise
Angela

I would get face to face advice but I fear your options with ESA are very limited if indeed you have any options at all, do an internet search for "welfare advice" with your postcode, town or county.

Have you checked with HMRC whether you have earned or been credited with enough Contributions during the Tax Years 2015-16 and 2016-17, it will be 2016-17 and 2017-18 if you claim after January 7, the DWP don't always get it right.

If you can't claim ESA(CB) then you will only be able to claim ESA(IR) if your husband works less than 24 hours a week and his earnings do not exceed what you would receive with.

Have you looked at claiming PIP? Our guide explains the criteria that you will need to meet.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid