× Members

Advice on Incontinence Please.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285147 by Nathan1965
Advice on Incontinence Please. was created by Nathan1965
Hi, I would like some advice on filling out the WCA form please. I suffer from Severe Generalised Anxiety order and this is the reason that I am claiming ESA.

However, question 9 mentions incontinence which I do have a massive problem with, but am not sure if it's worth the hassle and indignity of discussing it with them. I have random extreme panic attacks and a cold wave goes through me and I lose control of my bladder. I've been dealing with this for the last two years and my doctor has tried various medications but it makes no difference so I just live with it and am regularly seeing a psychologist to deal with the suicidal shame and hopelessness that I feel as a result.

My question is – because there is not a physical cause (that the doctor can find), I imagine that it won't be considered as part of my claim – should I just skip this question or give a negative answer?I really can't face a barrage of questions about this, if it won't make any material different to the WCA result, and even if it did, I think I would rather not go through that humiliation.

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285163 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Advice on Incontinence Please.
Hi Nathan1965

It is the question that most claimants find embarrassing, I have been helping one claimant for over many years with both WCA and PIP, the claimant never told me that she suffered with incontinence as she found it a very embarrassing subject.

It was not until my last PIP tribunal I did with her which was successful that she let slip she suffered from incontinence issue, so when her WCA came up for renewal we mentioned her incontinence and she was placed in the support group. For the last 7 years she has only been placed in the WRAG group.

Don't skip the question, I know it can be embarrassing, are you prescribed incontinence pads or do you purchase them yourself, do you have to use mattress protectors?

Check out our guide on the subject matter; help-for-claimants/esa1

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , Nathan1965

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285168 by Nathan1965
Replied by Nathan1965 on topic Advice on Incontinence Please.
Hi Gary,

Thank you for your reply. I buy them myself, I also buy full size adult diapers as the pads often don't suffice as I haven't found any that are absorbant enough. (Tried them all.)

What I was wondering though, is because my incontinence is caused by mental/emotional issues rather than a physical one like prostate problems etc, would that be counted points-wise in the assessment? If they will disregard it, then It seems pointless going through the humiiation I am almost certain they will put me through. Or am I misunderstanding something? I thought that I read somewhere on this site that only incontinence caused by actual physical conditions would be considered as affecting a person's capacity for work.

Many thanks,

Nathan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285171 by Nathan1965
Replied by Nathan1965 on topic Advice on Incontinence Please.
Hi Gary,

I have now found the reference I was thinking about. On page 30 of the ESA guide you provide it says :

Physical or mental – what if it’s not that straightforward? Following changes to the law
in January 2013, you can only score points for the physical health activities if the difficulties
you have with them are caused by a physical health condition or physical disability or are a
direct result of treatment by a registered medical practitioner for that condition.

I take that to mean that I won't score any points for my incontinence as it's not caused by a physical condition and that I'll be wasting my time and going through unnecessary stress with this descriptor.

Is my interpretation of the above quote accurate?

Thanks again,

Nathan.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285195 by Gary
Hi Nathan1965

If you are incontinent then you are incontinent, as you stated in your original post you have tried various medications but none of them have worked.

When you go out, do you take a change of clothes just in case you have an accident?

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nathan1965

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285198 by Gary
Hi Nathan1965

If you look at the disability rights handbook page 85 edition 48, it states; This is one of the most difficult parts of the questionnaire to complete because the questions are of such a personal nature. Try to put as muchinformationdown as you can.
Bladder incontinence that occurs when you are asleep will be ignored, as will minor leakage that can be containedby the use of pads.
You would get 15 points if the loss of control of your bowel or bladder leads to an extensive evacuation or voiding at least once a month. you would also get 15 points if atleast once a month there is substantial leakage of a collecting device which means you need to clean yourself and changeyour clothing.

It goes on to say; Explain what precautions you have tried to take and why these may not always work.

At no point does it mention physical or mental.

Gary

The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, jakkijax, Nathan1965

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.