× Members

Guidance for writing a letter of support from a family carer

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #285332 by Delphine
Hello All

I have my PIP review due and I read on here that providing as many supporting documents as possible can help with the decision making.

I have asked my doctor for a supporting letter but they said they don't do that anymore and if needed the DWP will write to them?!

My daughter is my carer so I've asked her to write me something I can send. As she hasn't done this before she is not sure what to write without it just regurgitating the same information already included in the review form. Is there a template or an expected format to follow? And what to include without it being too samey?

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #285339 by LL26
Hi Delphine,

Unfortunately DWP no longer routinely ask for reports from GPS (it costs!) Hence it is extremely unlikely your doctor will be contacted. If your doctor won't write a report, at the very least you can ask for a copy of your medical records or a summary of these to send in.
It is good idea to get a supporting letter from a carer. There is no set format, but what can be really effective us to explain help given both generally and specifically relating to the descriptor activities, giving examples where possible.
Here's an example...
I am the sole carer fir my mother since she had the car accident 10 years ago. My mother broke her leg in 3 places, her back and her right arm. Unfortunately there were complications with the surgery causing a stroke and my mother struggles now with mobility and daily living and other day-to-day tasks.
Every morning I help Mum get dressed. She has difficulties moving her arms, and cannot bend. I have to help her put on her underwear, shirts, trousers and socks, as well as coats. Mum can not bend her right arm, due to the accident, and has lost power due to the stroke. When Mum tries to dress herself she us clearly in pain and gets very out of breath due the effort. Mum can half pull on a shirt or trousers but then lack of mobility and pain prevent her finishing.
Mum needs my help to get in and out of the bath. She is prone to falls and has fallen on at least 2 occasions when she attempted to get into the bath unaided when I was unable to be there. The first occasion last May gave bruises, but the 2nd occasion in June caused a 3 inch gash on Mum's head. She had to stay 3 days in hospital and had 12 stitches. Etc etc

Mention all other relevant descriptor activities that need help and why
Or that you notice Mum does slowly, or gets breathless.
Don't be afraid to say if you think the person you care for believes she can do more than us actually possible. Explain the true level of disability.
You could conclude as follows (going on from the same example)

Before the accident Mum was a cheerful outgoing person. She used to walk 4 or 5 miles each day. Now Mum is very much isolated, she is in constant severe pain. She needs help from myself or others constantly throughout each day.

Don't worry if the letter repeats the claim form - that's good as it will help confirm what has been said.

I hope this helps.
LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , Delphine, anees292, Anxious Anonymous

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid