× Members

ESA(Contribution Based) Reassessment due

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #285345 by LilacGem
I been on ESA CB, in the SG for 11 yrs. Was initially assessed every 2 yrs until 2016, but then it was deferred in 2018,2020 & 2022. Last March (when i discovered they'd deferred it again), i was given a date for nxt assessment as March 2024.

In Jan 2022 I was given an opened ended (10 yr) PIP award, both enhanced, on review.

I am hoping they might defer my ESA reassessment again given the fact they gave me a much longer PIP award this time (as they deemed i'd deteriorated & unlikely to improve).

So 2 questions pls

1)How likely do you think it is that they'll defer again? I know you cant say for definite, but if you had any idea/thoughts on the matter id appreciate them.

2)given we cant say for sure, i'm starting to get ready for reassessment now....
I understand its possible to fill in the form online these days, & then print it out, rather than having to use the old handwritten one... I'd like to see a copy of that form... But
I'm very confused by all the different names etc now that some people are on UC & some on 'new' style ESA - i dont know what any of it means. So i'm confused about what it is we'll be filling in this time

I found this one... - is this the correct & most up to date form? assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/6...rk-questionnaire.pdf

many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #285359 by latetrain
Replied by latetrain on topic ESA(Contribution Based) Reassessment due
Hi Cemily

Thank you for your question.

ESA is an indefinite award with scheduled reassessment based on the Prognosis Date completed by the assessor in their report, so your existing ESA award continues in payment until a new Decision is made. You asked how likely it will be deferred again, we have no idea, all we can say is thee is a large backlog across various departments.

There are two types of forms that I am aware of, one called ESA50 and the other called UC50, they are both the same apart from the name. www.gov.uk/how-to-claim-new-style-esa. I have just checked Gov website and it looks like the paper form on line has been withdrawn. www.gov.uk/government/publications/new-s...wance-esa-claim-form

The link to the form you have I believe would still be ok to use as a template.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #285485 by LilacGem
Replied by LilacGem on topic ESA(Contribution Based) Reassessment due
Thanks Gary, I'm a bit confused though...

What does 'new style ESA' have to do with my claim?... If my old style ESA is reassessed now, does that mean i'll be automatically claiming new style? I dont get it.

I was initially awarded ESA CB in the SG in 2012, the prognosis/scheduled reassessments must have been were 2 yearly because they were done exactly 2 yrs later in 2014 & 2016.

And after the assessment in 2016 we rang to be told it was scheduled for review in March 2018, but the form never arrived & when re rang to chase it up they told us, 'no you are not due for another assessment until March 2020', but the same thing happened , & then again in 2022. And ringing them recently it still says due for reassessment march 2024.

So the last reassessment was done in, I dont have a copy of the assessors report from any of the assessments, as all done on paper thank God & being successful i couldnt bear to read the report if didnt need to - too stressful ( have mental health probs)

So it sounds to me like the assessor put 2yrs for prognosis... but something is happening each time the date for review rolls round, to make them choose to postpone it for another 2 yrs instead.

Do you think they take account of prognosis given in PIP reports & PIP awards? PIP assessor judged me unlikely to improve in Jan 2022 wondering if that might affect the decision whether to go ahead with the reassessment or not

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #285486 by latetrain
Hi Cemily

It can be confusing, between legay ESA and NS ESA, there is no differece between the forms IR ESA is means tested and CB ESA and NS ESA are both based on NI contributions.

We are quite often asked about ESA but we are not told which one so we can not answer the question without knowing the full facts. If you had paper assessments the the report is called a ESA85a

Yes they can take PIP into account as they do have access to the reports.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: LilacGem

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #285488 by LilacGem
Replied by LilacGem on topic ESA(Contribution Based) Reassessment due
Thanks Gary, ah... so will mine be 'Legacy ESA' then?... if the claim began in 2012. Last reassessment was in 2016.

I've not seen the term New Style on any of my paperwork.

So if i ask questions here i should always state its Legacy ESA (CB only, SG)

I did get some back dated IR for the period 2013-2015 as part of that LEAP thing, but i went over the savings limit in 2015 due to a small inheritance, so not had IR on top of CB since then.

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #285490 by latetrain
Hi Cemily

It will not state 'legacy' ESA, it will state income related ESA or contribution based ESA, some claimants can get both.

Legacy benefits have now stopped for new claimants, new claimants now have to claim UC or NS ESA or both.

If your savings go below £16k then you maybe able to get your IR back.

Gary

Moderators: GordonlatetrainBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.