× Members

Housing costs under UC - transitional protection

More
5 months 4 days ago #285585 by PatGPT
Hi,

I'm on IB ESA and was very lucky to have become an owner occupier recently. I have various service charges to pay

For reasons that are hard to explain I'm actaully not that happy where I live and will probably want to sell up in three or so years from now. I hope I'm not on UC then but if I am I'll likely have transitional protection.

I know it's all a bit premature given the timescale but my understanding is that I could lose transitional protection if I moved to a different local authority but only if there is a change in circumstnaces.

My question is does having UC cover my service charges mean a change of circumstances as I would effectively be claiming the housing element? As in if there is no housing element, then there's no change in circumstances when moving to a neighbouring authority?

It just makes me wonder whether it's worth claiming this element as my service charges are only about £30/month.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 3 days ago #285593 by Gary
Hi PatGPT

The first question to ask yourself is who pays your service charge now?

I would advise you to seek help from your local Welfare Rights Organisation: advicelocal.uk your question is not straightforward and depends on a number of factors.

Transitional protection applies to claimants who are invited to apply for UC by letter by DWP. Some claimants have mis-read a leaflet issued by HMRC informing them that Tax Credits were ending and they would have to apply for UC. The claimants applied for UC, but the leaflet was not the invitation letter, they therefore lost the Transitional Protection.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

More
5 months 3 days ago #285600 by PatGPT
Hi Gary,

I am paying the service charges, along with insurnace. This comes to about £30/month.

It's just the entitledto calculator tells me that my ESA would be higher were I to declare this to the DWP. I would have done so originally but didn't realise this was possible.

I would like to apply for UC next year, in part because I want to make relatively modest overpayments on my mortgage and not be under any risk of deprivation of capital. I am under the £6k capital limit.

Under ESA this isn't possible. But the UC are drafted differently.

See the part in reference to notional capital on the followling link.

www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/376/part/6

I think I may be jumping the gun somewhat in regards to leaving as it's unlikely I'll be able to sell this place anytime soon. I am not happy here as I experience a lot of antisocial behaviour and it is affecting my health quite badly.

My concern over the service charge is were I to finally claim UC and get transitional protection, would that transitional protection be put at risk were I to move to another local authority by virtue of this £30/month housing element that I'd be claiming as there would then be a change in my UC claim with my new place? This wouldn't be the case without the service charge right? There would then be no possible change in circumstances?

More
5 months 3 days ago #285603 by Gary
Hi PatGPT

As I stated in my previous post, your question is not straight forward, service charges can be paid via ESA and also via Local Authority, it depends on a number of factors, which is why I would advise you to seek advice from your local Welfare Rights Organisation.

Remember not all service charges are eligible, some service charges are classed as ineligible.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 months 5 days ago #286929 by PatGPT
Hi Gary,

Regarding the reference I made to paying off debt.

I asked the DWP to give me permission to use my ESA to make overpayments to my mortgage.

The decision maker told me that as long as I wasn't using capital to pay down the mortgage, it's allowed and I don't require any permission.

I'll be honest, given some of the misinformation I've been given by decision makers in the past, I don't believe to him a degree.

He even said that benefit was neither income nor capital, which I thought quite odd, as benefit clearly is a form of income in law.

I am concerned as I also learnt that calls by decision makers are not recordedd, however notes were made. I will try my best to get them under GDPR. What do you make of his advice and the decision he made?

More
3 months 4 days ago #286965 by Gary
Hi PatGPT

What you were told was correct, not all benefits are classed as taxable income such as PIP, DLA, AA, these benefits are paid tax free.

If you wanted to add extra to your mortgage payments, I doubt DWP would know unless you are claim help with your mortgage payments.

Gary

The following user(s) said Thank You: PatGPT

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.