× Members

Confusion around my MH issues & how this relates to my claims

• Anxious Anonymous
  • Topic Author
More
8 months 1 week ago #287042 by Anxious Anonymous
I'm currently experiencing significant confusion and overwhelm. Just three months ago, I received diagnoses of ASD Level 1, ADHD, depression, anxiety disorder and EUPD. Recently, during a consultation with a different psychiatrist for ADHD medication, he declined to manage my medication, deeming my condition too severe for remote management. Instead, he strongly recommended a referral to CMHT (Community Mental Health Team). In the process, he altered my diagnosis of depression and anxiety disorder to 'mixed anxiety and depression, current moderate-to-severe.'

This change has left me unsettled, as I've researched 'mixed anxiety and depression' in the ICD11, which indicates it as a mild condition. I'm concerned that my anxiety symptoms are being solely attributed to autism, with the psychiatrist referring to 'autistic anxiety,' and that my depression symptoms may also be linked solely to autism.

Despite these label changes, I feel little has changed in terms of my actual experiences, and my challenges in communication and alexithymia make it difficult to articulate my symptoms. I haven't yet informed the DWP about the ASD/ADHD diagnoses, as I believe my functioning has shifted over the past few years due to depression, anxiety, and a seizure disorder. I have recently informed PIP about the new diagnoses though, since I had a PIP review form and that was sent off around November time.

Given this confusion, I'm unsure about the best course of action. Should I report these changes to the relevant authorities and let them make a determination? The situation is overwhelming, especially considering my recent referrals to social care assessment and peer support following CMHT rejection, as well as the strong recommendation from the psychiatrist to be under their care due to perceived risks. What steps do you recommend in navigating this complex and confusing situation?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 1 week ago #287051 by BIS
Hi Anxious Anonymous

I understand that this is overwhelming for you, but you are asking a question outside the scope of this forum. The DWP asks people to report an accurate picture of their medical condition. It is down to each person to decide what this means for them, and we cannot advise whether you should or shouldn't include particular information.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Anxious Anonymous
  • Topic Author
More
8 months 1 week ago #287052 by Anxious Anonymous
I have been told before on this board/forum that any new diagnosis such as ASD/ADHD can wait until a review for ESA/UC. That it’s not something that needs to be reported right away.

Can you confirm this?

More
8 months 6 days ago #287066 by Gary
Hi Anxious Anonymous

Unless your condition improves then you do not have to report a change in your condition, not all changes in condition will lead to an improved award, you have to fit within the criteria. If your condition has got worse and you believe that you should get a high award then contact DWP and report a change in circumstances.

I would always advise you to take the self-test; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/esa-test-form before reporting a change of circumstances.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Anxious Anonymous
  • Topic Author
More
8 months 6 days ago #287087 by Anxious Anonymous
Thank you, guys.

My issue is that I've had these set of symptoms now for a few years and none of them can make their mind up. They say people with ASD/ADHD have depression/anxiety etc and I agree. But I also have terrible post-traumatic stress that's gone undiagnosed so my condition has actually got worse to the point my trauma therapist has paused our therapy and recommended CMHT referral and my ADHD psychiatrist said we can't manage you remotely, I need to make a strong recommendation to stabilise your mood under a CMHT.

It's terrible.

More
8 months 5 days ago #287117 by Gary
Hi Anxious Anonymous

Have you asked your trauma therapist for a supporting letter in regards to your condition and how it affects you?

I would also ask your ADHD psychiatrist for a supporting letter.

Gary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.