× Members

UC Bank Statements - Appointee

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #291163 by Lethargic7430
UC Bank Statements was created by Lethargic7430
Hey everyone,

I recently got a call from UC asking for four months of bank statements and a photo of me holding my ID. They mentioned this is a standard request going out to everyone right now.

Here's my situation: I have two accounts, one with a traditional bank where my UC payments go, and another with Revolut, an e-money institution. I'm not worried about sharing my main bank's statements, but I'm a bit uneasy about the Revolut account.

A couple of months ago, during a manic episode, I spent £300-400 on cryptocurrency for some not-so-great purchases on the dark net, something I don't do when stable, I'm working on it. My question is, when UC asks for bank statements, do they need them from all my accounts or just the one they deposit money into?

Also, I'm curious if this request is really as widespread as they claim. Is this happening to everyone, or is it just a select few?

Would love to hear your thoughts or if anyone else has been through something similar.

Cheers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #291178 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic UC Bank Statements
Hi Lethargic,

This is correct in relation to the ID - the same was requested of me. It's in case of UC fraud during Covid times.
Your bank statements, you need to include everything that is some form of money. Incomings and Outgoings. Me personally, When I submitted my details, I totally forgot about the Help2Save account, which at the time had £1000 in, and I was fined £50 because I didn't show them everything for the 4 months they requested, because I just simply forgot about the H2S as I had a lot of other things going on at the time - what ended up happening was, they requested every form of income for a whole year, It was my bank account, my savings account, paypal, ISA's, and they did mention bitcoin, however I don't do this - also don't make the same mistake as I did with credit card debt - this is NOT taken into consideration, so even if you owe say £10,000 grand for example, but have £10,000 between your banks - it doesn't classify your NET as 0, but still as £10,000. It's absolutely scandalous, but it's how they do it - so you will need to show them the Revolut card and the bitcoin, because if you don't, and they request everything - they'll immediately put a stop on your money like they did me, check by your National Insurance number, then even possibly fine you..If you have under £6,000 in all bank totals, you'll be fine - every £250 over £6,000, you'll lose £4.35 for. So if you had £7,000 for example, that would be £17.40 less on your UC every month. Anything over £16,000 - you lose everything in relation to UC.

Hope this helps - any other questions, I'll be happy to help.

Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #291187 by 1555
Replied by 1555 on topic UC Bank Statements
Had a call from UC. I am the "Appointee". UC is paid into my account not the claimants.
Can somebody answer as appointee do I need to show them my bank statements or the claimants own bank statements. They haven't made this clear.
Also they are asking for my ID as they didn't migrate it over onto the new system.

Thanks

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #291189 by 1555
Replied by 1555 on topic UC Bank Statements - Appointee
I am the "Appointee" for my son UC. Had a call from them asking to bring my ID as they didn't migrate it over onto their new system. Also they are asking for 4 months bank statements. The general question I have is: Will they want to see the bank statements for myself as appointee where the UC is paid or do they want to see my sons own account statements who is the claimant?
The issue I have is that as a family still haven't formally charged him board and lodging and we have paid most of the household expenses from various bank accounts ourselves (as we still have our own separate accounts) and sometimes my son has paid directly top up payments to energy suppliers so his UC recieving bank account has about £4k and with this own small ISA will take him over the 6k claw back threshold. Will they be asking extra questions regarding how his UC is spent. Should I only show statements that are in my sons name not mine which then will be ok for the capital rule.

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #291201 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic UC Bank Statements - Appointee
M

Please do not post your questions in others topics even when on the same subject as it can lead to confusion as to what answer applies to whom. Normally we would move your posts as it appears we have provided a definitive answer to the OP I have left them here.

My best guess is that you need to provide your son's bank accounts as they are the claimant unless his money is paid into another account in which case both sets of statements should be provided.

If your son has more than £6000 in assets and savings as your post suggests then you are required as the appointee to notify the DWP of this. As an appointee you stand in your son's shoes so if there are penalties levied against him then it is you who will have to pay them.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wendy Woo, Chris

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris