× Members

Pretty sure problem being on CB ESA and IR ESA

More
4 months 2 days ago #291872 by Anneb
Hello - looking at advice on older threads about CB ESA and IR ESA, I’m pretty sure my son, for whom I’m Appointee, is on both. His P60U has about £6,000 as a taxable benefit and he gets £10 Christmas bonus - but last page of his benefit letters say he is on IR ESA.

Back in 2011 my son was migrated from Incapacity Benefit to CB ESA and in the Support group LCWRA. I kept asking for him to be put on IR ESA and eventually after complaints to DWP in 2014 he got IR ESA and a large back payment for Enhanced Disability Premium.

I don’t know what can I do to forestall a problem when I get the migration letter for my son to move to UC. He gets Housing Benefit too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #291916 by Gordon
Ab

I answered your question on the other topic that your stated.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum/10-dla-e...sa-and-ir-esa#291864

What problem are you trying to forestall?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #291948 by Anneb
Hi Gordon,

The problem I'm trying to forestall is the problem some people on this forum appear to have had in this situation when they moved to UC. Someone's UC was reduced and they were told there was a "live claim" in their ESA but DWP denied they had a claim which would undoubtedly have been CB ESA....and someone else had a similar problem.

Maybe there wouldn't be a problem for my son and would get some ESA, the CB ESA along with UC...just reading those past posts was worrying especially as the DWP have always only mentioned IR ESA in proofs of benefit letters when it's clear that he gets a lot of CB ESA, more than half his total ESA.

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #291957 by Gary
Hi Anneb

CB ESA is not affected by claiming UC, the amount you get for CB ESA is taken away from UC £ for £.

The one advantage of claiming CB ESA along with UC is that CB ESA is paid fortnightly whereas UC is paid monthly.

Claimants inform me that it does help them budget.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #291969 by Anneb
Thanks Gary - I just hope this "migration" from ESA to UC will be smooth and it all goes through no problems, though obviously everyone with disability premiums will end up being worse off. I can see others here on the forum are worrying about this migration too :(

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid