× Members

Applying for pip first time

More
3 months 1 week ago #292640 by hicky1
Applying for pip first time was created by hicky1
Hi was hoping to get some advice my husband suffers with his back numerous things going on as a result of an old injury which unfortunately won’t get better and surgery has been ruled out.. Our gp advised him to apply for pip and has referred him for X-rays and mri scan should he wait a few weeks for results before applying or would you get the process started. We are also joint carers for our daughter and my husband is the one claiming carers allowance purely because years ago we were asked to just pick one of us as only one person can claim carers allowance. Even though he is named we both do 50/50 of the care with me doing the lifting for example and my husband more the supervision and support with occupational therapy and speech therapy. Can he stay as the carers allowance claimant as we both do 50/50 but different things or would we have to swap as not sure if he was successful with pip if they would say can’t claim both. My daughters care isn’t just physical and unfortunately can’t be left alone. Any advice would be much appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 week ago #292651 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Applying for pip first time
Hi hick11

You can claim CA and PIP, you may be asked how you can care for someone with your condition.

When applying for PIP, it is not so much the condition per se that the DWP is interested in, but how that condition/s impacts a claimant's daily life and mobility as set out in the PIP criteria. We are not assessors or medical professionals, so cannot give a view on what you will get and at what level. Two people can have identical conditions but be given different awards.

Our guide to PIP claims and reviews goes through each question highlighting important issues that you need to consider in your answers and giving some sample answers; benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/pip

PIP is not awarded because of the condition but rather the limitations that result and prevent a claimant from completing a range of everyday activities.

Read about the reliability element in the guide - if you cannot do something:

• Safely – in a fashion that is unlikely to cause harm to themselves or to another person.
• To a necessary and acceptable standard – given the nature of the activity.
• Repeatedly – as often as is reasonably required.
• In a reasonable time period – no more than twice as long as a person without a physical or mental health condition would take to carry out the activity.

then you should not be considered able to do the activity.

The fact that you can’t do the activity safely, to an acceptable standard, repeatedly or in a reasonable time, means you can’t do it at all for the purposes of the descriptors.

If you have any further questions, then please return to the forum.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: hicky1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid