× Members

Planning a journey

More
2 months 1 week ago #293386 by Pippin
Planning a journey was created by Pippin
Hello,

I would be grateful for some help on this question for PIP. I am totally housebound with Long Covid (ME/CFS and POTS). I only leave my hone on extremely rare occasions for medical appointments where I am taken by my carer or sister. I understand that this question is not about your physical ability to plan and follow a journey. So this is where I am confused how to answer this question. I am never in the situation where i am planning and following journeys as that is way beyond my capability as I am totally limited physically and I cannot be in overly stimulating environments but primarily I don't leave my home because physically I cannot. So am I supposed to answer this in the hypothetical that if I wasn't limited physically would I still be able to do this?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Cheers,
Heidi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #293411 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Planning a journey
Hi Pippin

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

The Going Out activity looks at three things.

Planning a route - this is primarily a cognitive or sensory (e.g. blindness) activity. You are being asked about the problems you would have with working out how to get from one place to another, you do not need to be able to follow the route that you are planning.

Undertaking a Journey - this is to do with mental health issues such as agoraphobia and social anxiety and is concerned with you leaving the house to go somewhere, they will be interested in the things that stop you doing this. You need to show that you would suffer "overwhelming psychological distress" to meet the criteria.

Following a route - This activity about the problems you would have navigating a route. So are there any problems; cognitive, sensory or mental health issues that would prevent you from doing this? This is different from undertaking a journey, in fact, if you cannot undertake a journey then you will not score points for following one and vice versa.

If you say your walking is restricted, you would need to be unable to reliably walk more than 50m to score sufficient points for an award just on the Moving Around activity.

Do you reasonably fit any of these criteria?

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid