× Members

Aortic Aneurysm

More
2 months 1 week ago #293420 by JTPWELL
Aortic Aneurysm was created by JTPWELL
I have an actively growing Aortic Aneurysm and am under the care of a Cardiologist who has recently ordered a CT scan.

I had an Mechanical Aortic Valve replacement in March 2023 for a Bicuspid Aortic valve which means that I am on Warfarin (blood thinners ) for the rest of my life. The aneurysm was known of at the time of this surgery.

I note there is a potential PIP success claim rate of 60% for Aortic Aneurysms.

However, I am unsure how to self assess against the Descriptors as the only issue that I can be 100% SURE of is that I am at constant and increasing risk of a rupture or dissection of the aneurysm.

A rupture or dissection are both emergencies and fatal if not repaired immediately.

As the aneurysm is actively growing the risk increases daily.

Medical advice given is to be constantly aware NOT to over exert myself or lift any weight so as not to put pressure on my aneurysm. Maintain a good blood pressure , eat heart healthy diet and take gentle exercise. All of which will not prevent the growth of the aneurysm but help to keep me healthy for surgery.

There are no physical symptoms. This is all diagnosed by Imaging ( eg Echocardiograms and CT Scans)

I am on high and increasing anxiety because this could just happen at any time and if I was alone, I would die as I could not raise the alarm. Therefore would I score points for the fact that irrespective of any daily activity or journey I am engaged in, it is not safe for me to be alone and need constant presence of another person.

Any advice on how or if I should attempt a claim for PIP?

Many thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #293452 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Aortic Aneurysm
Hi JTPWELL

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

We cannot answer your question, when applying for PIP, it is not so much the condition per se that the DWP is interested in, but how that condition/s impacts a claimant's daily life and mobility as set out in the PIP criteria. We are not assessors or medical professionals, so cannot give a view on what you will get and at what level.

Two people can have identical conditions but be given different awards.

Our guide to PIP claims and reviews goes through each question highlighting important issues that you need to consider in your answers and giving some sample answers; benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/pip

PIP is not awarded because of the condition but rather the limitations that result and prevent a claimant from completing a range of everyday activities.

Read about the reliability element in the guide - if you cannot do something:

• Safely – in a fashion that is unlikely to cause harm to themselves or to another person.
• To a necessary and acceptable standard – given the nature of the activity.
• Repeatedly – as often as is reasonably required.
• In a reasonable time period – no more than twice as long as a person without a physical or mental health condition would take to carry out the activity.

then you should not be considered able to do the activity.

The fact that you can’t do the activity safely, to an acceptable standard, repeatedly or in a reasonable time, means you can’t do it at all for the purposes of the descriptors.

Have you tried the PIP self-test? PIP self test this will give you an indication as to whether or not you may be successful.

If you have any further questions, then please return to the forum.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 1 week ago #293456 by Gee_H
Replied by Gee_H on topic Aortic Aneurysm
Hi JTPWELL,

Firstly, I empathise with you, my mother also had aneurism of the abdominal aorta in 1999 and we lived 18 miles from the nearest hospital, so I hear you regards the urgency of the situation. I think it was something like a 5 minute window?
The best I can say is, try keep a diary for a couple of weeks, note your fatigue, when you are forced to rest and monitor your BP to try keep stable. Note any other bodily changes if you can. We spend so much time trying to live around our conditions, we don't always listen to it enough or always notice when we need to have help, for eg help with all the housework (if you've a family member doing everything, we forget what we cannot do ourselves, eg lifting things, even a bin needs emptying and weighs beyond what we should be lifting (Mine is a spinal cord injury btw among other non lifting things, so I share some of the daily problems for a lot of years, but I'm more sharply aware of my limitations with no family to help).
Diet, who assists with preparing the healthy diet and cooking? as you should need help with that too, lifting pans, lifting kettles, even emptying washing up bowls!, does somebody have to be there supervising for your safety, do you need (or should have) somebody assist you with bathing, washing, hair washing and if your BP rises or heart rate rises if you're in a situation with warm water around you or steam in a shower?
It's all these little things we tend to not realise we couldn't or shouldn't do that others have to do for us or be there to react for us should you need 999?
No lifting yourself in and out chairs, beds or the bath I know was another with Mum. In the end the hospital kept her in until a due operation date or an ICU bed became free.
Having to rest up more, heat affecting you more, etc etc.
I know it's not much of an advise but it's a start :) Good luck and wishing you a safe life until they decide the next operation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, LL26

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid