× Members

Bedroom Tax

More
2 days 9 hours ago #294935 by Fred Kaz
Bedroom Tax was created by Fred Kaz
Hi All, firstly I am a new member here. I am 61 years of age, Army Veteran, and I live with my partner and child. For many years I have been on the old style ESA both IR and CB, plus also getting DLA Low Care, High Mobility. Since thec18th of last month I have been forced to apply for UC.

While I was on ESA I was not paying the bedroom, due to me being on low care I could not claim carers allowance, but I do suffer from Complex PTSD, because of this I have violent bad dreams and I do move around the bed a lot and a few times I have hit my partner. In 2018 I had to go to a tier one tribunal and sit infront of a judge.

I won this appeal and was given the right to use my spare room as a place either I or my partner can use if I am having a bad time. I do not know the technical name of this paperwork, I just call it my award. I was told to never lose this paperwork as I thought that as long as I am in the same house, I would never have to pay bedroom tax.

On the move over to UC, the DWP are now making fuss, as they will not pay the bedroom tax part of my rent. I have told UC about my award, sent them copies of the award, but they have stated that being on low care DLA, they won't pay it.

Is this award still current/legal, or will I have to pay the tax. If I have to pay that would be a cut of £44 a month off my benefits, that plus losing my Army Pension, which is £130 a month is making me very angry at the moment. We was told that we would not be worst off by moving to UC, but at the moment I am.

Any suggestions please.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 days 14 minutes ago #294981 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Bedroom Tax
Hi Fred

Welcome to the forum.

Your forum name appears to be your real name, I would advise you to change it to protect your anonymity. See

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum

Unfortunately the rules are different between legacy benefits and UC.

You can apply for a mandatory reconsideration, but we would advise you to seek help from your local Welfare Rights Organisation; advicelocal.uk .
You may be eligible to claim middle or high care.

In the mean time you can apply to your local authority for a Discretionary Housing Payment to help cover the under occupancy charge (bedroom tax)

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid