× Members

Data Protection & GPs

More
12 years 5 months ago #74816 by greeneyedlad
Data Protection & GPs was created by greeneyedlad
Hi does anyone know the rules for getting access to my records at my gp surgery?

iv just had a discussion with a receptionist who said i can not have a copy of letters sent to my doctor from a consultant who did an operation on my knee. as it was owned by the consultant & i would have to contact him directly for a copy.
the same thing was said about a letter from physiotherapy.
its so inconvienient as physiotherapy said they would have to hunt back to see if they still had a record of the letter & may not be able to find it.
the receptionist said under the data protection act i could see anything held on me at the surgery, by the surgery, gps etc. but anything sent to gp from anybody else the dont have permission for.
im really upset & trying to collect as much info as possible for my tribunal.

sorry for the long post

martin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• michaelg
12 years 5 months ago #74818 by michaelg
Replied by michaelg on topic Re:Data Protection & GPs
greeneyedlad wrote:

Hi does anyone know the rules for getting access to my records at my gp surgery?

iv just had a discussion with a receptionist who said i can not have a copy of letters sent to my doctor from a consultant who did an operation on my knee. as it was owned by the consultant & i would have to contact him directly for a copy.
the same thing was said about a letter from physiotherapy.
its so inconvienient as physiotherapy said they would have to hunt back to see if they still had a record of the letter & may not be able to find it.
the receptionist said under the data protection act i could see anything held on me at the surgery, by the surgery, gps etc. but anything sent to gp from anybody else the dont have permission for.
im really upset & trying to collect as much info as possible for my tribunal.

sorry for the long post

martin

Martin

Please read here -

www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1309.aspx?categoryid=68&subcategoryid=160

• bro58
12 years 5 months ago #74819 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Re:Data Protection & GPs
Hi GEL,

Also see this thread, and the link at the bottom of Gordon's post on said thread.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?func=vie...id=10&id=74734#74734

bro58

More
12 years 5 months ago #74826 by greeneyedlad
Replied by greeneyedlad on topic Re:Data Protection & GPs
thanks michael

bro i saw gordons post on that thread but it didnt say what the receptionist told me about not having permission as it wasnt written at the surgery & contacting the consultants directly.

as that wasnt mentioned does that mean the receptionst is talking rubbish?

m

• michaelg
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #74831 by michaelg
Replied by michaelg on topic Re:Data Protection & GPs
greeneyedlad wrote:

thanks michael

bro i saw gordons post on that thread but it didnt say what the receptionist told me about not having permission as it wasnt written at the surgery & contacting the consultants directly.

m

Martin

You have patients rights as described in B&W moderators links. If you are still in any doubt, the first step is to ask to speak to the practice manager, or consultant.

Regards

Michael
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by michaelg. Reason: clarified

• bro58
12 years 5 months ago #74832 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Re:Data Protection & GPs
greeneyedlad wrote:

thanks michael

m

Hi GEL,

A patient should be able to access any letters or reports that are pertaining to them personally.

On a personal note all the letters from my consultants were on my G.P. records, when I gained copy of them.

I think there may be some exceptions with information that may be classed as "Harmful Information", e.g. a notification of a terminal illness etc.

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris