× Members

IB to ESA, nil points and appealing

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #104136 by dizzy247
IB to ESA, nil points and appealing was created by dizzy247
Hi I'm new to this site and would appreciate some advice. I have been in receipt of IB for 13 years. I've recently had the ESA assessment and been found fit for work and haven't scored any points at all.
I have got the score sheet and have requested a copy of assessment report. I intend to appeal asap.
I would like to ask how much info should I put on the appeal form. A lot of the details I put on my claim form appears to have been disregarded and some of the things written by the decision maker are not accurate. Is it advisable at this stage to list all of these things and say why I do not agree with them, or just keep it brief and go into more detail later.
Sorry if this has been asked many times before.
Thankyou
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #104138 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic IB to ESA, nil points and appealing

dizzy247 wrote: Hi I'm new to this site and would appreciate some advice. I have been in receipt of IB for 13 years. I've recently had the ESA assessment and been found fit for work and haven't scored any points at all.
I have got the score sheet and have requested a copy of assessment report. I intend to appeal asap.
I would like to ask how much info should I put on the appeal form. A lot of the details I put on my claim form appears to have been disregarded and some of the things written by the decision maker are not accurate. Is it advisable at this stage to list all of these things and say why I do not agree with them, or just keep it brief and go into more detail later.
Sorry if this has been asked many times before.
Thankyou

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

Our ESA Appeal guide explains how to lodge an Appeal and the Appeal process in more detail

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa

You do not have to go into detail on the GL24 Appeal form as to why you are appealing. You then have an opportunity while a DWP Decision Maker Reconsiders your claim to explain you claim in more detail and to submit more evidence, should you be able to. After the Reconsideration, if the Decision remains unchanged, your Appeal will be passed to the Tribunal Service for a hearing to be convened.

You should also have a look at the following

How long do I have to appeal?

How to submit an appeal

ESA medical – what forms to ask for?

Qualifying for the WRAG

Qualifying for the Support Group

Disability Rights UK Factsheet - Appeals and reconsiderations

Preparing for a Tribunal

MOJ Video of ESA Appeals Process and Tribunal

12 Month Limit for ESA(CB)

If you have more questions please reply to this post.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dizzy247

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #104444 by dizzy247
Replied by dizzy247 on topic IB to ESA, nil points and appealing
Thank you for your reply and the links.
I have now completed my appeal letter and will be posting it tomorrow. I have been unable to get an appointment to see my GP quickly, so have written on the letter that I will forward a medical certificate to enable me to claim the assessment rate of ESA asap. My entitlement to IB ceases on 28/5 and my GP appt is 30/5 is this likely to cause problems?

I also have another question regarding medical certificates, what is the longest period DWP will accept one for?

Many thanks.
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by .

11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #104454 by

dizzy247 wrote: Thank you for your reply and the links.
I have now completed my appeal letter and will be posting it tomorrow. I have been unable to get an appointment to see my GP quickly, so have written on the letter that I will forward a medical certificate to enable me to claim the assessment rate of ESA asap. My entitlement to IB ceases on 28/5 and my GP appt is 30/5 is this likely to cause problems?

I also have another question regarding medical certificates, what is the longest period DWP will accept one for?

Many thanks.

Hi d247,

Make sure that your G.P. backdates the MED 3 to the date that your IB ceased.

You can obtain a MED 3 by speaking to your G.P. over the phone, if the G.P. is available.

Send it to the DWP, at the same address as your GL24 went to, keeping a copy.

Put a covering letter in with it stating that it is in connection with your GL24, and that you are now requesting payment of ESA at The Assessment Rate whilst your appeal is ongoing.

Sending Documents to the DWP or ATOS

The law states that the first two MED 3's obtained from your G.P. can be for no longer than 3 months each. The 3rd and any subsequent MED 3 can be for 6 months or longer.

bro58

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #104799 by dizzy247
Replied by dizzy247 on topic IB to ESA, nil points and appealing
I've just read on another thread that a letter from Black Triangle re appealing and reg 35 was used. I will be seeing my GP next week to obtain med cert and to discuss my result and appeal with him. Is it a good idea to take a copy of the letter with me and ask if he is prepared to sign it or is it better to have a letter written by him in his own words.

Thanks

11 years 1 month ago #104804 by

dizzy247 wrote: I've just read on another thread that a letter from Black Triangle re appealing and reg 35 was used. I will be seeing my GP next week to obtain med cert and to discuss my result and appeal with him. Is it a good idea to take a copy of the letter with me and ask if he is prepared to sign it or is it better to have a letter written by him in his own words.

Thanks

Hi d247,

I gather that you are speaking of "Substantial Risk" as at ESA Reg 35 (2) (b)

ESA Reg 35 for entry to The SG (LCWRA)

PLUS Post 28/01/13 Amendment of :

(3) In regulation 35(1) (certain claimants to be treated as having limited capability for work-related activity)(6), for sub-paragraph (b) substitute—

“(b)the claimant is-

(i)receiving treatment for cancer by way of chemotherapy or radiotherapy;

(ii)likely to receive such treatment within six months after the date of the determination of capability for work-related activity; or

(iii)recovering from such treatment,

and the Secretary of State is satisfied that the claimant should be treated as having limited capability for work-related activity; or”.

www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/3096/regulation/4/made

You could ask your G.P. to sign it, whether they would or not is a different matter.

In my opinion, a letter supporting the "Substantial Risk" issue in the G.P.'s own words would hold more sway.

It is not enough to simple state that there would be "Substantial Risk", evidence would need to be provided with relation to how and why there would be "Substantial Risk".

There is no legal definition of this, it is mentioned in The DM Guide

DM Guide LCW & LCWRA

&

DM Guide ESA Amendments from 28/01/13

42188 onwards.

bro58

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.