× Members

ESA and other income

• keithw
  • Topic Author
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #104266 by keithw
ESA and other income was created by keithw
I have just been placed in the Support Group and will now receive £106.50 per week. If I activate a private pension now how may it affect my entitlement to benefit? My assets will not be anywhere near the £16,000 and are unlikely to exceed £6,000. I do not know the exact pension income, but it may be around £50 per week, not enough to pay tax.
thanks,
keith
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #104267 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA and other income
Even contributary ESA can be affected by a private pension. The DWP will discount the first £85 per week and then reduce ESA by 50p for each extra £ pension. So, in your case it will not make any difference :)

Contributary ESA is counted as taxable income, so you will be obiged to pay tax if your total (taxable) income is over the personal allowance threshold.

Edited to add - it is easier for us if you keep all your queries in one place please, rather than starting a new thread with each one. You will be able to find 'your' thread/topic easily if you mark it as a favourite now :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid