× Members

How to know which ESA I'm on?

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #291428 by Wiggles
How to know which ESA I'm on? was created by Wiggles
I don't know if I'm on contribution or income related, how do I find out?

Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #291484 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic How to know which ESA I'm on?
Hi Wiggles

You can either phone ESA and ask or if you kept your ESA update letter usually send around February time, then the details are usually on the last page.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wiggles, VIA

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #291516 by Robbie
Replied by Robbie on topic How to know which ESA I'm on?
How long have you been on ESA? Do you have the P60U that HMRC send every year? If so, look at the amount of taxable benefit listed. If the amount is greater than £0.00 then it suggests contributory ESA. The figure should be near the top of the form, in the second column and is the second entry down (below Pay).

Another quick way to tell, did you receive a £10 Christmas Bonus last December with your ESA? If so, then you are on contributory ESA as income -related ESA only claims don't qualify.

It is possible though that you could be on both.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wiggles, VIA

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #291542 by Tammy Curtis
Replied by Tammy Curtis on topic How to know which ESA I'm on?
You might very well be getting both. Many clients get ESA C with an ESA IR top up. If moving to uc the ESA C claim would continue and be paid independently with uc making up the Top up and reducing the payment £ for £ to account for the ESA C thereby making a silly loophole if someone getting both legacy benefits and uc at the same time. To make matters worse if you were transferred from IB to ESA and are one of the few who still have TP or one of the even fewer who were never moved over to ESA at all and still get IB yet another headache for an overwhelmingly complicated situation arises. It’s no wonder there are so many official errors being made when you consider the complexity of the changes that uc has created. If you are unsure of your claim status rather than looking for a p60 and working out premiums etc I would call ESA and they can advise you hopefully. Although unfortunately even they don’t always know the answer. It is important you find out though as otherwise the move to uc may end your claim for ESA incorrectly and you’ll have a fight on your hands trying to get it reinstated as happened with one client. She did in the end but only the ESA C as you can’t reinstate income related benefits at all once a uc claim is started. There really is no going back.
Tamara

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #291544 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic How to know which ESA I'm on?
Hi Tammy

One of the benefits of getting both CB ESA and UC, ESA is paid fortnightly, whereas UC is paid monthly. It therefore helps with budgeting.

The quickest way of finding out is to phone ESA first thing in the morning and ask.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wiggles

More
3 days 12 hours ago #292026 by Wiggles
Replied by Wiggles on topic How to know which ESA I'm on?
I received the bonus but DWP confirmed I'm on the IR ESA and have been for a couple of years. Now I'm really confused! haha.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris