× Members

DLA renewal claim

• Rain
  • Topic Author
14 years 3 months ago #21119 by Rain
DLA renewal claim was created by Rain
I have recently received a DLA1 and my renewal date is 22 August 2010 (2nd time l will be claiming DLA)
The DWP office assured me that l MUST return my completed DLA1 by 16th of June 2010 however l wrote a subsequent letter to them stating l was unable to do this
I confirmed that l would return the completed form by 22 August 2010
The DWP office warned me that if l failed to return the DLA1 by 16 June 2010, l would jeapordise my entitlement to DLA and l would be classed as a new claimant too
(they have an 11 week backlog they said)
I am concerned and worried about this now
Am l within my rights to do this?
I have been medically retired since 1998 and also receive IB
Rain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
14 years 3 months ago #21122 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Re:DLA renewal claim
Hi,

The reason the DLA Unit in Blackpool are asking you to return your DLA renewal form by 16 June 2010 is to allow them to process your renewal claim before your current award ends on 22 August 2010.

You cannot expect the DLA Unit which handles over 2 million claims each year to process your renewal application if it's not sent to them until the day your current award ends.

If the DLA Unit do not receive your renewal claim in time for them to decide whether or not your current award should be renewed, then your current award will cease on 22 August 2010, and if you still wish to claim DLA, you will have to submit a new application.

Being medically retired and also on IB is totally separate from your DLA claim which is for any care and/or mobility needs you have, whilst IB is paid because of an inability to work due to ill-health and/or disability.

I strongly suggest you contact your local CAB or similar organisation to get help in completing your DLA renewal form before your current award expires.

Hope this helps.

Jim

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.