× Members

Phone Call

• mickeytum
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #117185 by mickeytum
Replied by mickeytum on topic Phone Call
Contacted DWP and said I wanted a mandatory review,,, the woman on the end of the phone was rather snotty and finally said OK.. Then 10 minutes later I had a phone call from someone asking why I wanted the MR.. As I tried to explain he kept interrupting and really couldn't give a damn.. ( are you allowed to swear on here ).. Then he rambled on about different circumstances than what they were when I first claimed Incapacity Benefit.. When I suggested that they had moved the goal posts and all it all boiled down to was penny pinching he got irate ,to say the least... I swear he was making what sounded like a cup of tea,when I asked him his anger got worse... Then I asked if the phone call was being recorded , he said why , then said no... He said I can claim job seekers online or over the phone, is this right ?
I have written a letter asking for all the documents about my case and will post it tomorrow.. Do I send it recorded delivery ?..
Many thanks, mickeytum
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #117189 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Phone Call
mickeytum

The DWP do seem to be hell bent on mis-informing claimants of their rights at the moment.

First of all I recommend that you confirm in writing your request for an MR and specifically use the words "Mandatory Reconsideration".

I would send all correspondence by Recorded Delivery if you can afford it and as a minimum you should request a certificate of posting from the Post Office (which is free).

You have two choices while you wait for a result from the MR, you can claim JSA, this will not have any effect on your future entitlement to ESA, or, you can wait for the MR to complete.

If you claim JSA then you will be subject to a Claimant Commitment, whilst it should be possible to limit any job searching requirement to fit with your disabilities if you fail to meet the minimum requirement your JSA will be subject to sanction and your claim can be closed by the JC+

If you decide to wait then you need to send in Fit Notes to the DWP. There is no time limit for an MR To be completed within although the DWP have suggested that they are targeting 10 working days, at this time we have seen no statistics as to whether they are keeping to this.

If your MR is unsuccessful then you can appeal the Decision to the Tribunal Service, once this is accepted you will be paid the ESA Assessment rate (if you claimed JSA you can ask to be put back on ESA), this will be back dated to date that your benefit was stopped minus any payments you have received. If you have not previously provided one, you will need to provide a Fit Note.

Have a look at our ESA MR & Appeal guide

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa

and the following Fact Sheet

Disability Rights UK Factsheet - Appeals and reconsiderations

If you have any further question, please reply to this post.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• mickeytum
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #117194 by mickeytum
What is a fit note ?.. If it is anything like a sick note which you got from your GP when you were unable to work, I haven't had one of those for 14 years,!!!!
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by .

10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #117195 by
Replied by on topic Phone Call

mickeytum wrote: What is a fit note ?.. If it is anything like a sick note which you got from your GP when you were unable to work, I haven't had one of those for 14 years,!!!!

Hi mt,

Yes, the Fit Note (Med 3 Certificate) replaced the old type Sick Note several years ago.

The Fit Note should be obtained from your G.P.

See : Fit Note MED 3

bro58

• mickeytum
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #117198 by mickeytum
Thank you for all the advice, it is most welcome..
The most interesting part for me is what all the doctors, consultants etc have said in the notes and letters when they arrive.. Just to make sure about one point though, can I claim JSA by phone or email, or do I have to go to the job centre...thanks again

10 years 4 months ago #117199 by
Replied by on topic Phone Call

mickeytum wrote: Thank you for all the advice, it is most welcome..
The most interesting part for me is what all the doctors, consultants etc have said in the notes and letters when they arrive.. Just to make sure about one point though, can I claim JSA by phone or email, or do I have to go to the job centre...thanks again

Hi mt,

You can make your initial claim online :

www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/how-to-claim

Or by phone.

However :

"To complete your claim you must go to an interview at your local Jobcentre. If you don’t, you won’t get any JSA. If you apply online, you’ll get a text or phone call within 2 working days to arrange this."

bro58

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.