× Members

Student Finance and ESA query

More
8 years 6 months ago #142800 by Robinson_jon
Student Finance and ESA query was created by Robinson_jon
Hi Mods

I have a query regarding claiming ESA whilst studying full-time and claiming Student Finance. here are the details.

I currently receive:

Contribution Based ESA (Support Group) £109.30 per week

I've also started university, and receive the following:

Student Loan: Full Award for low income single student £5740 p/a
Special Support Grant: Full Award for low income single student £3387 p/a

I have no dependents etc. just a single bloke.
The only other benefit I receive is PIP Enh DL and Std Mob
I have asked CAB to advise me and gave them my benefit entitlement. They replied with a 3 page letter telling me about the ins and outs of ESA / Student Finance regarding Income-Based ESA, despite me telling them I was Contribution Based! I contacted them again, but have not had a reply.

I'm asking here for two reasons:
  1. The mods have experience in this field as far as I am aware and may be able to advise better
  2. and;
  3. I thought I had read a post on this forum months ago that you could.
I don't want to be making a false claim.

Thanks guys.

P.S. The DWP guy was no help, he suggested I fill out a form converting to Income-based!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #142802 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Student Finance and ESA query
JS

It's unusual for a student to be eligible for Contribution Based ESA as they normally don't have sufficient NI Contributions to be able to receive it, I have to admit I'm a bit confused that the CAB thought you could switch to Income Related ESA, you can't!

As you have a PIP Daily Living award you are covered for doing the full-time course and your receiving ESA(CB) means that your student loan and grant will not be deducted as income.

However, your starting the course is a Change of Circumstances for ESA so you need to inform the DWP about it. Starting the course itself is not reason for a re-assessment to be initiated, but if there are concerns about whether your doing this course conflicts with your stated limitations it may cause an early re-assessment and your doing the course will be considered as part of the review.

There is no specific requirement for you to contact the PIP department about your starting the course, but you may be at a disadvantage if you do not do so and in the same way as for ESA, the DWP decide that there may be conflicts with your stated limitations for PIP.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robinson_jon

More
8 years 6 months ago #142806 by Robinson_jon
Replied by Robinson_jon on topic Student Finance and ESA query
Thanks, Gordon.

I relate to your comment about students not having enough NI contributions to qualify for CB ESA...

I'm 36. You do get Mature Students who have worked for almost 2 decades before falling ill!! :-) :-)

(As it's Friday and the site is fantastic, I'll let you off!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

More
8 years 6 months ago #142849 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Student Finance and ESA query
Jonny - you know that, I know that, Gordon knows that. The DWP are another matter!

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robinson_jon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.