× Members

IR related ESA, PIP and Carers Allowance

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #143895 by memyselfandI
IR related ESA, PIP and Carers Allowance was created by memyselfandI
Hi,

My partner and I receive IR Esa support group as a couple , my partner also gets pip. I receive carers allowance. I wanted to work part time as self employed which will be about 20 hrs earning about 60 pounds a week. Can you tell me how that is likely to effect my partners benefits?
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago #143904 by

memyselfandI wrote: Hi,

My partner and I receive IR Esa support group as a couple , my partner also gets pip. I receive carers allowance. I wanted to work part time as self employed which will be about 20 hrs earning about 60 pounds a week. Can you tell me how that is likely to effect my partners benefits?

Hi mmaI,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

I gather that your partner is the main ESA claimant and receives IR ESA for you as their partner.

If they receive IR ESA for a couple it is likely that they receive payment of The Carer Premium (CP) rather than you receiving full Carers Allowance (CA) for you providing care as a top up to their ESA payments.

ESA Premiums

Payment of IR ESA is means tested with respect to capital, assets, savings, other household income and any hours worked by a partner.

Therefore, any monies earned by you would be classed as household income, and as such would be deducted £ for £ from your IR ESA payments.

Further, if a partner works more than 24 hours a week, payment of IR ESA is precluded.

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

There is also an earning limit for CA, even if you only have an underlying entitlement and only receive The CP :

CA Gov.UK Eligibility.

You should take into account that if you lose entitlement to payment of IR ESA through not being able to pass the means test, you would also lose the other passported benefits that come with IR ESA such as free prescriptions and dental care, HB, and Council Tax Support, etc.

You working would have no adverse effect on PIP as that is not means tested nor is it classed as household income for the purposes of the IR ESA means test.

You could try putting your details into one of these :

Benefits Calculators.

See also : Benefit Rates 2015/16

If you were going to make changes to your financial or personal circumstances, you would have to inform DWP ESA in writing.

It would be impossible for us to offer accurate advice that is personal to you within the restricted remit of a publicly viewed forum, so my best advice would be to gain face to face advice on this from CAB or the like before you commit to doing anything.

bro58

More
8 years 5 months ago #143983 by memyselfandI
Replied by memyselfandI on topic IR related ESA, PIP and Carers Allowance
Thank you bro58, I will look into it further before making a decision as I have no faith in DWP to do or get anything right, at least people get good and honest advice here.

Thank you again for the excellent advice and support you provide to us all, if only the DWP were as helpful!
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.