× Members

PIP Mobility 11. Mental Health: walking dogs

• Holland
  • Topic Author
8 years 5 months ago #144190 by Holland
Hello
I am wondering what the DWP consider to be a "journey"
My partner has severe MH problems with distressing thoughts most days mostly relating to engaging or being in the presence of other people. Due to this we live in a very remote area (population less than 18 people). Medication causes weight gain, concerns with weight gain have in past result in coming off meds, which has had very serious consequences for Mental health.
We got a dog so that my partner would have an incentive to excercise. For the fisrt 2 years I accompanied them on the walks. Now my partner walks one of these routes everyday, delaying the walk until the likliehood of hikers being around is minimal, going on a different walk, or slightly modifying the route if they spot walkers in the distance.
If they do have any contact with anyone upon return they will be very anxious and concerned about the persons intentions and become highly distressed and agitated. They need considerable support: talking through feelings and thoughts immediately after the event and often days & weeks or months after the event. (The event may be someone asking where somewhere is or asking a questtion about the dog or someone looking at my partner)

The walks are usually circular and 1-2 miles in length.
Except when my partner encounters strangers these walks are highly beneficial.

Does this mean that my partner would be very likely awarded 0 points for Mobility because they "Can plan and follow the route of a journey unaided"

Apart from walking the dog they won't & don't go anywhere except to the GP visit close relatives and that is always accompanied, by car and never involves public transport.

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• foss27
8 years 5 months ago #144196 by foss27
Its difficult to predict what attitude the assessor will take but don't expect them to be helpful or understanding. My opinion is that they will probably use the walks to say that your partner can plan and follow the route of a journey unaided. They are, after all, trying to get the benefits bill down any way they can.

• Holland
  • Topic Author
8 years 5 months ago #144200 by Holland
Replied by Holland on topic PIP Mobility 11. Mental Health: walking dogs
Thanks for your reply foss.
I know that they will try to be as tight as possible. I myself consider that walking a dog is not with a definite purpose as for example shoppng or going to visit a GP.

I'd have hoped that the definition of journey would be a little tighter, for example I have seen public transport mentioned with reference to mobility.

Oh well looks like yet another person with MH problems will be having their benefits cut.

Has any one written to Luciana Berger (Shadow secretary for Mental Health) about PIP? It seems stacked highly against those with Mental Health problems. I

• Holland
  • Topic Author
8 years 5 months ago #144202 by Holland
Replied by Holland on topic PIP Mobility 11. Mental Health: walking dogs
* sorry what I meant to write is that I don't consider walking a dog to be taking a journey. It's purpose is for excercise or relaxation, not to arrive at a destination as I would define the pupose of a journey.

More
8 years 5 months ago #144203 by Gordon

Holland wrote: Thanks for your reply foss.
I know that they will try to be as tight as possible. I myself consider that walking a dog is not with a definite purpose as for example shoppng or going to visit a GP.

I'd have hoped that the definition of journey would be a little tighter, for example I have seen public transport mentioned with reference to mobility.

Oh well looks like yet another person with MH problems will be having their benefits cut.

Has any one written to Luciana Berger (Shadow secretary for Mental Health) about PIP? It seems stacked highly against those with Mental Health problems. I

Some points for you to consider, I don't know whether these help or hinder your partners claim.

- Planning and following a route are separate activities! Planning a route does not require the claimant to be able to followi it, however, it is possible that planning a route would be considered as part of following a route, if your partner was taught the route and did not plan it themselves and does not vary it to any significant degree then you should argue against this.

- Following a familiar route is not the same as following an unfamiliar one and is treated separately.

- Although the DWP guidance does refer to Public Transport, the legal definitions for the activity do not and we have seen a number of Decisions recently where the DM has ignored the use of Public Transport. I would not rely on this as an argument

- The DWP are stretching the definition of "prompting" in regard to the Going Out activity, the PIP Appeal section has documents that argue against this it would be worth your having a look at them.

- if your partner is adversely effected by meeting or even just seeing other people on their walk then this is something to be mentioned.

- The task must be performed "reliably" and "for the majority of days" not to score points. You can certainly argue that this walk does not meet this standard, in particular you need to offset it against how they would handle a journey in different circumstances, during the day for example.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Holland

More
8 years 5 months ago #144205 by Gordon

Holland wrote: * sorry what I meant to write is that I don't consider walking a dog to be taking a journey. It's purpose is for excercise or relaxation, not to arrive at a destination as I would define the pupose of a journey.

I'm afraid that this unlikely to be a successful argument.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Holland

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.