× Members

ESA support group, risk

More
8 years 4 months ago #145250 by Orangeblossom
ESA support group, risk was created by Orangeblossom
I'm currently in the Esa support group under the criteria of substantial risk. I have a mental health condition along with a severe and life threatening physical condition. It says in the report it will be reviewed in eighteen months as the available medical evidence indicates that work related activity may be considered in the medium term. I am concerned about this as although the mental health condition may improve the physical health condition is incurable. I have been reading on your site about the situation if people have to appeal to do with this support group criteria and that the DWP is stalling such appeals due the high Court saying that the DWP has to show the activities would not cause risk to the patient. Is this still the case? They note in my esa decision that my condition is vulnerable to stressors and I can't see how this will change over time. I'm just trying to get prepared in advance. I have been discharged from the mental health secondary care to the GP and concerned this will be interpreted as an improvement in my mental health but in fact they usually discharge people when they're meds are stable.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• foss27
8 years 4 months ago #145288 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic ESA support group, risk
The ESA guide has been updated recently to cover the substantial risk criteria.

The DWP have to provide details for turning down such cases to the appeal panels. They probably are worried that a case law decision will lead to an increase in having to allow such cases.

18 months does seem like a short award period. It doesn't necessarily follow that you will be assessed in exactly 18 months but it does leave it hanging over you so to speak. I, and others, think there should be a list of incurable conditions which will never improve that automatically put people in the support group indefinitely but you have to remember this regime is politically and idealogically driven and such a sensible, resource saving measure wouldn't be acceptable to such a regime.

More
8 years 4 months ago #145417 by Orangeblossom
Replied by Orangeblossom on topic ESA support group, risk
Thanks for the reply. I didn't have to have a F2F to go into the support group, and I notice my PIP is also due to be reviewed at the same time. At least in the past, my experience is that it's been assessed very thoroughly and accurately with regard to both PIP and ESA so hoping this will continue in the future. I've already planned I'll just send the forms in with any evidence (they've flagged me as having support needs in the future and the condition will still be present when reassessed at least) So if I have to go to appeal, I'll ask for a paper based one and base it on the risk issue.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.